Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Check Out This Bad Boy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BE acquired some cultures from Europe when they were forced to rebuild a number of years ago. None that I am aware of came from Wistuba. Some clones like the N. ephippiata and the Kew N. rajah are wide spread and the only ones available. There are only a handful of BE cultures that are from other sources, most are from seed they started themselves. I was doing a count the other day for kicks because there is constant flap on other forums about how they just want to sell TC plants. So I went back over the years to see how many different plants have been offered as seed grown by BE. From 2001 to middle of 2009 BE has released around 50 different seed grown species not counting some that have been released in different forms or locations.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Macro, but I would rather just wait and spend the big bucks on Eddy when he gets out, someday,... He will, I have faith.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I like Macro, but I would rather just wait and spend the big bucks on Eddy when he gets out, someday,... He will, I have faith.
    Well, Nepenthes macrophylla was known as N. edwardsiana ssp. macrophylla far longer than by its 1997 name change . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    i saw a macrophylla on ebay and it went for well over 200 dollars.
    I believe there were two, two year old seed grown N. macs (seeds originated from Japan) that were offered for sale on a well known auction website.

The higher of the two was sold for $202.50. It seems a bit, but it is seed grown, which I read that is very rare for this species.

I hope the lucky winner is a member here, so he/she can share a photo diary of this N. mac

Good Growing,
    E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    As far as I know, Nepenthes x trusmadiensis is still not that widely available, is distinctly different in appearance (even while young), and may be even harder to come by than N. macrophylla . . .
    This statement I find strange. There are far more TM hybrids than mac hybrids. Simple math points to the existence of way more TM's and ultimately their availability.
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by justjack View Post
    This statement I find strange. There are far more TM hybrids than mac hybrids. Simple math points to the existence of way more TM's and ultimately their availability.
    I mentioned that earlier, simply because I have seldom seen Nepenthes x trusmadiensis for sale (it was only tissue-cultured in the last few years) -- despite the number of hybrids which currently claim its parentage. Initial prices, at the time, ranged anywhere from one hundred to upwards of one-thousand dollars. Breeding stock isn't necessarily available commercially; just talk to some of the orchid people.

Aside from Wistuba in Germany ("Delivery time uncertain" on his site) or Borneo Exotics of Sri Lanka, I find very few other sources for that Nepenthes -- regardless of how you work out your "simple math" . . .

As an aside, BE describes the plant as recently as 2008, as follows, " N. x trusmadiensis = N. macrophylla x lowii. Borneo Exotics is proud to announce the first commercial release of one of the most desirable and spectacular of all known natural hybrids. These plants are available as 2 clones out of tissue culture and are more vigorous than either parent species. Although small, with most plants being a little over 2.5cm (1") in diameter, they are extremely hard, having been nursery grown for about 1 year. The female parent is N. macrophylla"

The prices ranged from 300-450.00 as of March 2009.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By simple math I was simply implying, it sounded logical. I found it strange because I didn't get it. I should have posted in more form of a question. Thanks for the info. I've gotta go sell a car to get that mac!
    Good growing, Jack
    "Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead, American Anthropologist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,

To set the record straight:

Also, I was told under good authority that the Borneo Exotics plants came from Wistuba in the first place . . .
    Sorry to have to contradict you but I'm afraid not such "good authority" as it happens, since none of Borneo Exotics' stock offered for sale is, or ever has been, sourced from Wistuba - or any other commercial provider of Nepenthes. Tony is correct in everything he said in his earlier post earlier about the source of BE's stock.

Rob
    Rob Cantley
    Nep Nut in Sri Lanka
    http://www.borneoexotics.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast