What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Check Out This Bad Boy

dvg, it would be great if you had the chance to post photos of your various clones, comparing leaf shape, etc. Among seed-grown plants, there is a good amount of variability, even while young . . .

x2

DVG-

Thank you for elaborating more on your conversation with Mr. Wistuba.

To all who are interested, there is a very good discussion, as well as incredble pics of the N. mac "daddy" here:

http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=6495

I personally like the more uniform peristome look rather than the spikey cog wheel version.

Good Growing Everyone :boogie:
E

My S clone has just gone through a growth spurt and is inflating some newer and hopefully larger pitchers. I'll try and post some pics once these open up. The nice thing about macrophylla pitchers is that they last a long time.

I have seen actual N. macrophylla Also, I was told under good authority that the Borneo Exotics plants came from Wistuba in the first place . . .

I haven't specifically asked Rob but..as far as I know that is incorrect. BE had their own stock of seed grown N. macrophylla which they would have used some seed to start in the lab.

I haven't specifically asked Rob but..as far as I know that is incorrect. BE had their own stock of seed grown N. macrophylla which they would have used some seed to start in the lab.

Hi Tony,

That's the first I've heard of Borneo Exotics' N. macrophylla origins, aside from German sources; and hasn't Wistuba supplied some of the BE plants in the first place?

BE acquired some cultures from Europe when they were forced to rebuild a number of years ago. None that I am aware of came from Wistuba. Some clones like the N. ephippiata and the Kew N. rajah are wide spread and the only ones available. There are only a handful of BE cultures that are from other sources, most are from seed they started themselves. I was doing a count the other day for kicks because there is constant flap on other forums about how they just want to sell TC plants. So I went back over the years to see how many different plants have been offered as seed grown by BE. From 2001 to middle of 2009 BE has released around 50 different seed grown species not counting some that have been released in different forms or locations.

I like Macro, but I would rather just wait and spend the big bucks on Eddy when he gets out, someday,... He will, I have faith.

I like Macro, but I would rather just wait and spend the big bucks on Eddy when he gets out, someday,... He will, I have faith.

Well, Nepenthes macrophylla was known as N. edwardsiana ssp. macrophylla far longer than by its 1997 name change . . .

i saw a macrophylla on ebay and it went for well over 200 dollars.

I believe there were two, two year old seed grown N. macs (seeds originated from Japan) that were offered for sale on a well known auction website.

The higher of the two was sold for $202.50. It seems a bit, but it is seed grown, which I read that is very rare for this species.

I hope the lucky winner is a member here, so he/she can share a photo diary of this N. mac :-D

Good Growing,
E

As far as I know, Nepenthes x trusmadiensis is still not that widely available, is distinctly different in appearance (even while young), and may be even harder to come by than N. macrophylla . . .

This statement I find strange. There are far more TM hybrids than mac hybrids. Simple math points to the existence of way more TM's and ultimately their availability.

This statement I find strange. There are far more TM hybrids than mac hybrids. Simple math points to the existence of way more TM's and ultimately their availability.

I mentioned that earlier, simply because I have seldom seen Nepenthes x trusmadiensis for sale (it was only tissue-cultured in the last few years) -- despite the number of hybrids which currently claim its parentage. Initial prices, at the time, ranged anywhere from one hundred to upwards of one-thousand dollars. Breeding stock isn't necessarily available commercially; just talk to some of the orchid people.

Aside from Wistuba in Germany ("Delivery time uncertain" on his site) or Borneo Exotics of Sri Lanka, I find very few other sources for that Nepenthes -- regardless of how you work out your "simple math" . . .

As an aside, BE describes the plant as recently as 2008, as follows, " N. x trusmadiensis = N. macrophylla x lowii. Borneo Exotics is proud to announce the first commercial release of one of the most desirable and spectacular of all known natural hybrids. These plants are available as 2 clones out of tissue culture and are more vigorous than either parent species. Although small, with most plants being a little over 2.5cm (1") in diameter, they are extremely hard, having been nursery grown for about 1 year. The female parent is N. macrophylla"

The prices ranged from 300-450.00 as of March 2009.

By simple math I was simply implying, it sounded logical. I found it strange because I didn't get it. I should have posted in more form of a question. Thanks for the info. I've gotta go sell a car to get that mac! :)

Hello,

To set the record straight:

Also, I was told under good authority that the Borneo Exotics plants came from Wistuba in the first place . . .

Sorry to have to contradict you but I'm afraid not such "good authority" as it happens, since none of Borneo Exotics' stock offered for sale is, or ever has been, sourced from Wistuba - or any other commercial provider of Nepenthes. Tony is correct in everything he said in his earlier post earlier about the source of BE's stock.

Rob

Hello,

Sorry to have to contradict you but I'm afraid not such "good authority" as it happens, since none of Borneo Exotics' stock offered for sale is, or ever has been, sourced from Wistuba - or any other commercial provider of Nepenthes. Tony is correct in everything he said in his earlier post earlier about the source of BE's stock.

Rob

Well, that is finally nice to know, since I could not get a consistent answer from anyone (I had always thought it was some sort of proprietary "thing"), save for a few well-known nurserymen in the UK; and their information now turns out to be faulty . . .

My apologies, Rob . . .

Hello,

Rob

Hello Rob-

Thanks for chiming in and setting the record straight as to wear BE gets it stocks from.

Good Growing,
E

Well, that is finally nice to know, since I could not get a consistent answer from anyone (I had always thought it was some sort of proprietary "thing"), save for a few well-known nurserymen in the UK; and their information now turns out to be faulty . . .

My apologies, Rob . . .

No problem Bella. There's quite a bit of misinformation circulating around as "facts" from time-to-time. It's not malicious - well, not often - but thought I'd better chime in on this one. Andreas does his thing and we do ours. The fact that we have different clones is good and makes it more interesting as often they grow differently, or appear a little different. It also increases the biodiversity in cultivation somewhat.

Another posting on another forum that stated that BE's plants are wild-collected did raise my blood pressure a little though!

Rob

Back