What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to prevent flowers? (pointless drain on the plant)

Ant

Your one and only pest!
My male ventricosa is going to send up another flower this winter, last year it had 2 good growth points and flowered twice ultimately "killing" the larger stem they were on. Now its only 1 point with no basals and I don't want it to flower twice this year. Is there any way to prevent a second from forming? ???

I don't think you can without harning the rest of the plant.

Chop the stalk off when its big enough to do so safely?

yep. just snip the stalk when you feel you can safely do it.

If you think it's going to kill the plant anyways, I'd say snip it immediately. If you can't get a clear shot at the spike, cut a few nodes underneath it. That way, your rootstock is no longer expending energy on flowering. You also might get a rooted cutting out of it. I would suspect that if you were to try and root a growth tip that was flowering, it would probably abort the flowers and opt to grow new side nodes. Either that, or it'll think it's dying and waste all of its remaining energy on trying to make seed.
~Joe

In time of your neps flowering. I would use superthrive. Thats what I am using right now for my Flowering (Female?) Truncata x Veitchii H/L.

Back