Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Not the N. mac "Daddy"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    Hehe - your plant might not be the "Mac Daddy," but N. macrophylla might be its daddy.
    ~Joe
    Good one their, Joe.

E

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno but I like the plant!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen dozens of N. macrophylla seedlings over the years from both seed and tc and I don't recall a single one ever having striped peristome. So I would rule that out completely. I also don't recall the ?? 'N. macrophylla' from Germany having them either. I don't think it's that plant.

To me it looks very N. lowii like in the pitcher, markings and leaf shape. Is the pitcher recently opened? It looks like a newly opened seedling N. lowii pitcher to me. They take a while to color up.. Could it be some sort of N. trusmadiensis? yes but odds are it's a N. lowii that was mistakenly mislabelled somewhere along the way. Time will tell!
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have also seen a number of the seed-grown plants and, additionally, a number of photos presumably of N. macrophylla. A shot of a "striped" peristome "mac" was sent to me quite a while back -- though it is not exactly in the same vein as that juvenile plant . . .

N. macrophylla
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    N. macrophylla can be quite variable in the coloration of the pitcher and peristome but if that is the one you say is "striped" then I don't see them. I still have not seen one ever having a single stripe like the plant in question or markings on the pitcher also visible on the plant in question.

Are we agreeing or not agreeing that it is not a N. macrophylla? To me it's clearly not. The ?N. macrophylla from Germany is very N. macrophylla like as well and this plant is very unN.macrophylla like. This plant in question has alot of N. lowii traits.. much more than any N. trusmadiensis I have seen also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya Tony-

The pitcher opened up about a week ago.

You mentioned that the plant in question has more lowii traits, but what made me thought it could be a N. trumadiensis was a pic of JensB old TM, http://pics.nepenthes.se/forumpics/07.08/img_8826.jpg which I think is quite similar.

I can understand the leaf shape being lowii, but when I think lowii, I see a hairy under lid, which this pitcher doesn't and at 2", you figure you might see a couple of tiny strands or at least a some stubble (thats why I included a side and a beneath the lid shots).

But I guess like many plants in question, only time will tell. But I was trying to get is, a feel of what other people thought it might be.

Good Growing To Ya,
    E

ps. Hey Tony, you wouldn't happen to have a spare N. mac laying around would ya . . . he, he, he.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    N. macrophylla can be quite variable in the coloration of the pitcher and peristome but if that is the one you say is "striped" then I don't see them. I still have not seen one ever having a single stripe like the plant in question or markings on the pitcher also visible on the plant in question.

Are we agreeing or not agreeing that it is not a N. macrophylla? To me it's clearly not. The ?N. macrophylla from Germany is very N. macrophylla like as well and this plant is very unN.macrophylla like. This plant in question has alot of N. lowii traits.. much more than any N. trusmadiensis I have seen also.
    I thought that the consensus was that it was most likely Nepenthes x trusmadiensis, from the shape of the leaves as much as that of the pitchers . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first post I mention it could be a N. trusmadiensis. The leaves don't have the shape of any of the N. trusmadiensis I have seen though, which typically are move oval shaped. But this doesn't rule it out. At 2" you might or might not see bristles under the lid if it is N. lowii. Which is why I wouldn't rule out N. lowii yet either.

I see you have read Osmosis's thread on his 'N. macrophylla' from Germany. For others that may not have seen it. This is the plant in question and as I remember it is very N. macrophylla like and has no stripes either.
    http://http://lhnn.proboards.com/ind...ay&thread=1624

What I find intriguing is that this is the first time I have seen this plant from the source you quote and labelled as N. macrophylla. The other plant in Osmosis's thread has been around alot and in a number of collections. I would think if it was being produced commercially in quantity all those years ago and released as N. macrophylla it would have turned up a number of times over by various people just like the other questionable clone. Which just further leads me to believe it is a mislabelled seedling or the source isn't what is claimed. Or Andreas may have released some seed grown individuals and this is just a one off odd natural hybrid??

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast