User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine Refridgerator for Ultra-Highland?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wine Refridgerator for Ultra-Highland?

Hi Y'All, its me again.

Yes, I did a search on this topic and the best I could find was posted in '03.

Now that its 6 years later, has anyone gone through and modified a wine cooler fridge for their ultra-highlanders?

Pics, would be AWESOME

Yes, I know Jeremiah converted a fridge, but I'm talking one of these babies with a front glass door.

As soon as my missus loses her mind (or a bet), I'd like to get one for MY Holy Grail nep, the villosa.

Ya know, the bottom covered with live sphagnum moss to keep the humidity up, lights on a timer, be like 14 years to outgrow it . . . whadda ya folks think?

Gots to be ready when the wifey feels generous

Good Growin,
    E
    "My Greatest Fear Is, When I Die, The Missus Will Sell All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Got It For"

I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow, could work. The only thing is are fridges humid enough? Also I would think a rise and fall in temps would be necessary, could the fridge provide that? One other thing you might plan for, a fridge will exhaust heat into the surrounding area, will there by any plants that will be effected by it? You could probably grow you L/L near it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it's on a much smaller scale, but I'm going to use a glorified icebox to grow N. singalana.

By the way, I have seen pictures of a 14 year old villosa, and it would still fit in the cooler. The nep might outgrow it in something like 20+ years though.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya Ant-

Thanks for chiming in.

I betcha one of them more expensive models would have a temprature dial where you could manually adjust the temps. Yes, it would be a chore , but its better than lugging ice bottles into a terrarium every night.

I was thinking of putting it as a stand alone dealio in the corner of the living room so I can view it daily. But when that day comes . . . who knows

E
    "My Greatest Fear Is, When I Die, The Missus Will Sell All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Got It For"

I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Addition of a fan for proper air circulation and it sounds like you'd be good to go!

Edit: Maybe an ultrasonic fogger for humidity and looks?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I don't think that humidity would be too much of an issue, because as moisture condenses, condensation appears on the plant itself as well, preventing the leaves from drying out.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Addition of a fan for proper air circulation and it sounds like you'd be good to go!"

Hiya FReNcH3z-

I haven't personally inspected any of these yet, wifey might be wondering, he doesn't drink . . . so whats he up to . . . hmmm

But I believe, like a regular fridge, they already come with a built in fan . . . me thinks.

E

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Better options ?

Cycling might be a problem....
    what I mean by this is warming during the day and then cooling sufficiently during the night. It can be done however.
    I have direct experience with these. There is a fan inside, blowing "semi-cold" air off a cold heat-sink inside. It uses a thermo-electric cooling device, however it is not very good at it. It "CAN" bring the temps inside down from 5-20 degrees lower than the surrounding temps.
    With a nice fan inside already, air circulation won't be a problem.
    The difficult part is lighting the thing without driving up the heat inside so much that it has to work hard to cool down enough in time for a nice night-time chill.
    It is a delicate balance of many variables, but it can be done. I have used one for one of my highland grow chambers for about a year or so, but had to revamp it heavily to get it to even closely work, and while do-able, there are better options if you're a handy do-it-yourself-er.

It does bring down the temps to 50 degrees when you fill it with wine and don't keep opening the door or heating it up inside during the day with a bunch of fluorescent lights ! Once you do that, you have real problems that will need solving!

Necessity IS the mother of invention. Best of luck.... and
    If you try it, would love to hear your results.
    Paul
    Last edited by GrowinOld; 11-19-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: corrections/improvements
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast