What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the coldest temperature N. Ampullaria can handle?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
I'm thinking of getting a Nepenthes Ampullaria to put outside on my patio. However, I live in mid-Florida, where the winter temps occasionally hit freezing. Since N. Ampullaria is a low-land Nepenthes, will it be okay outdoors year round here in Florida?

From what I've read, freezing temps will kill an ampullaria.

I don't think anyone here would advise exposing cultivated neps to freezing temps. From my readings, there are a handful that can take it in the wild (khasiana, rafflesiana, lamii) for a short period but it is definately not recommended in cultivation.

Ampullaria, being a lowland would be a definate no. It might be able to survive low temps for a short period, but it would not be happy. Low temps being 40-50s. I personally don't grow ampullaria yet, so I think you had better wait for some more experienced growers to chime in. I am pretty comfortable they will agree however.

I just realized that there was a chart that Entwadumela posted that was created by Manders for this very topic. Check out this thread to get an idea of what ampullaria is exposed to in the wild.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120181

My amp has been through 60's - 70's. Still pitchering, still growing, with a WHOLE mess of basals I should say as well. Oh, another thing, my humidity stays 20% most of the time. Thanks to dustin, who acclimated it for me. Awesome job dude.

Since I'm a fellow Central-Floridian, is that since temperatures rarely reach freezing (although frost appear on occasion), I would just check the local weather now and then and when dangerously low temperatures are coming, bring them inside for a while.

Since I'm a fellow Central-Floridian, is that since temperatures rarely reach freezing (although frost appear on occasion), I would just check the local weather now and then and when dangerously low temperatures are coming, bring them inside for a while.

I guess that would be a good idea. Ok, thanks :)

Its really not a good idea to let amps get below 18C for very long. They can stand the odd night or two at 10C but long term it would kill them. However, if day temp is warm (>20C) they can stand cold nights for a while.

In the wild amp are found to grow at 2,600 feet ( so far the highest elevation i came across ) with night temp around 23°C and humidity around 90%. Any conditions below to be cautious. check and monitor their growth.

How easy or difficult to obtain a near tropical conds in cold country i do not know in relation to the cost of lighting and heating up. On the opposite - me (and many lowland tropical growers) face with the problem of providing cool conds for highlanders???

In the wild amp are found to grow at 2,600 feet ( so far the highest elevation i came across ) with night temp around 23°C and humidity around 90%. Any conditions below to be cautious. check and monitor their growth.

How easy or difficult to obtain a near tropical conds in cold country i do not know in relation to the cost of lighting and heating up. On the opposite - me (and many lowland tropical growers) face with the problem of providing cool conds for highlanders???

I grow my lowlanders in a terrarium or an old fishtank, some dont need any extra heat, some do. A few are ok at room temperature, in windowsill for example. But for those that really need to be warm and humid and get large, you are looking at high heating (&lighting) bills. The easiest ones for me to grow in the North of the UK, are intermediate/highlanders, ultra-highlanders can be difficult and so can hot loving lowlanders (and we get very little sunlight in winter) :-(

Back