Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belle of the Ball...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Belle of the Ball...?

A few of you out there grow orchids and Nepenthes. I decided to shoot a couple of Phragmipedium cultivars that were in bloom as well as a N. talangensis pitcher that had just opened this week. Just wondering how the Nep would hold up against the Phrags beauty-wise...

The two orchid flowers are: Phrag. Eric Young in the lower left and Phrag. Memoria D*ck Clements 'Coalhurst Fire' in the upper right.

This N. talangensis from Wistuba was shot just moments after the orchid pic's were done, in the same light. Because it just opened, the peristome is a brighter red and will darken with time.

I think the talangensis stands up not too badly to the Phrags, what do you think?

EDIT Apparently the censor on this forum won't allow the first name of D. Clements. D*** is the shortened name of Richard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lookin good!

Just a couple corrections though
    It's Phrag. Eric Young (the Eric Young foundation made the cross)
    and
    Phrag. Mem. **** Clements
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help with that Tony. I had tried to find out how the naming worked on orchids...apparently it is a little different than with Neps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Orchid hybrids are registered with the RHS. So once a hybrid has been named and registered by either the maker or someone who has permission to name it, it is forever set in stone... Any time that hybrid is remade in the future the offspring will receive the same name. Exceptional clones of a particular hybrid can carry a second name to set it apart from the rest. Well.. technically it should be reserved for exceptional clones, but that is not necessarily the case. But that is another story!

Technically speaking it's Memoria ____ Clements but most abbreviate it to Mem. to make it easier to write on the labels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the info. I got these orchids back in January 2005. These were the names that were on the tags. Is Phrag. Memoria D*ck Clemons 'Coalhurst Fire' the proper naming of this cultivar then?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvg View Post
    Thanks again for the info. I got these orchids back in January 2005. These were the names that were on the tags. Is Phrag. Memoria D*ck Clemons 'Coalhurst Fire' the proper naming of this cultivar then?
    Not unusual for a label to get mispelled over time as seedlings change hands..

Phrag. Memoria D*ck Clements 'Coalhurst Fire' is correct. The clonal name is always in ' '
    You often hear this hybrid said "clemons".. like lemons which is probably why it is often mispelled - ons -

Phrag. besseae hybrids are some of my favorites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again. I'll make the corrections. I just learned something and any day a guy can learn something new, is a good day in my books.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So much red! Haha, they look great.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast