What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes burkei . . .

There is an ongoing debate on the CPUK site (http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34651) dealing with the identification of Nepenthes burkei in cultivation; and there is a current view that many held in collections (including Kew Gardens for many years!) were simply mislabeled N. ventricosa -- the species which N. burkei most closely resembles. To add further confusion, there is also a variety of color and shape associated with N. burkei pitchers.

Would others growing this species be willing to show off their photos . . .

Nepenthes burkei (Mt. Halcon -- Borneo Exotics Clone)
NBURKEI.jpg

NBURKEI2.jpg

beautiful plant!! love the speckles on the pinkish/redish colour! and yes, to me it does look a little bit like vent

Here are some pics of my N. burkei from earlier this year:

May 10, 2009

IMG_1187-1.jpg

IMG_1183-1.jpg

IMG_1189-1.jpg

May 21, 2009

IMG_1193-1.jpg

A couple days later

IMG_1207-1.jpg

IMG_1216-1.jpg

IMG_1218-1.jpg

IMG_1219-1.jpg

July 5, 2009

IMG_1390-1.jpg

IMG_1392-1.jpg

The peristomes on my first pitchers were yellow, and then with larger pitchers being made, the peristomes transitioned to a reddish color. The peristomes now are much wider and have a rich, deep burgundy color.

I can see the difference, and its a nice plant.

Here are some pics of my N. burkei from earlier this year:

The peristomes on my first pitchers were yellow, and then with larger pitchers being made, the peristomes transitioned to a reddish color. The peristomes now are much wider and have a rich, deep burgundy color.

Thanks for posting. Your beautiful plant most closely resembles those in McPherson's book and quite unlike the lighter variants that were on the CPUK site . . .

have no pics. but mine looks just like yours big bella ive had it for over a year and the first pitcher that came with the plant is the only that has any size, the rest have been small and almost no color at all almost see through it barely grows at all

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

dvg what are your growing conditions are you growing it as a highland or are u using some super charging nep.mix what's your hardiness zone wow it looks great wish i could do that

for some really off reason ive been able to tell the difference in alot of similar plants. burkei and venticosa, maxima and eymae, maxima and fusca, veitchii and hurrelliana. im starting to get a knack for hybrids too. haha. oh the joys of obsession!

when comparing burkei and ventricosa i always look at the shape of the mouth, the shape of the pitcher, the teeth on the peristome and the leaves. from what ive seen. burkei leaves are more pointed while ventricosa is more rounded off.

Alex

So much different than ventricosa, I really like burkei, those pics are great too, awesome plant.

i will have to post pics once mine opens up this pitcher its making....mine is still very small, but what the hell. lol

thanks...

Jimmy Conner,

Mine is grown as a highlander, and I do find that a coffee treatment once every six months results in dark green leaves and a growth spurt for the plant. I also cultivate flightless and wingless fruit flies. I release those around and on the plants and let 'em have at 'er.

We live in hardiness zone 3.

still pretty new to feeding cp's whats coffee treatment, ive not fed mine any thing since i got it.
Usually just let nature feed mine, have recently gave my n.miranda a couple cichlid pellets

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 PM ----------

hereare my pics .

photo+terra+FILE.jpg

see how light the new pitchers are with almost no visible spotting i do have ventricosa this is is a different nep. but do you think its burkei.

IMG_0714.JPG

Nice looking plant there Jimmy. Thanks for posting. I'd say your plant looks like a N. burkei, but I'll leave the final word on that to the experts, as I'm no expert...I only grow these puppies.

The basic gist of giving your Neps a coffee treatment, is to just pour the day old leftover cold black (no cream nor sugar please) coffee drink, through your Nepenthes media that they are growing in. Don't bother pouring it in any of the pitchers. Pouring it through the pot so that it comes out the bottom is all that you need to do. A treatment about once every six months is probably all you will need for this.

Here are some links to various forum discussions on this topic if you want to do some further reading regarding this subject.

http://pitcherplants.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=6288&page=1

http://ocps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=nepenthes&action=display&thread=2396

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119045

Here are a couple of updated pics shot today of some N. burkei pitchers.

IMG_1989-1.jpg

IMG_1986-1.jpg

THAT"S no ventricosa! OMG!

Yup! That definitely doesn't look like any ventricosa that I have seen.

Wow ! dvg , your burkei makes my heart weep i want mine to do that , great growing, very nice pictures as well keep growing , maybe you could baby sit mine till it looks like yours LOL i do think its doing better since i moved it to the new highland terrarium I just put together.
to+terra++ooooo.jpg
I've added a false bottom since the pic

wow!! spectacular setup there Jimmy. congrats man!

That's an incredible looking terra setup you have going there Jimmy. Your plants are going to be very happy in there. Good work!

dvg, that is a spectacular pitcher. First burkei pitcher I've seen that I've found attractive, and very at that!

Thanks Nightsky,

I must say that I've certainly enjoyed seeing some of the delights that you have posted in the past and am looking forward to seeing some more pics of your awesome plants in the future. Hopefully they are all growing great for you.

Is decaf ok for the coffee treatment, and is it ok to do at this time, only a couple weeks to the shortest day of the year should i wait till then , so its at the beginning of the longer day cycle as to give the plant a little longer in the shortening day cycle, before boosting the growing ?? any thoughts ?????

Back