Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: growing n.gymnaphora

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60 at night is definitely not too cold. mine is taking it into the low 40s in the garage with no problem, this IS A HIGHLAND SPECIES.
    Your problem does appear to be a fungal infection accompanied probably with poor air to the roots.
    I would repot it into a more airy mix such as LFS/orchid barck/perlite/peat or something with god large chunks of material in the media. and your plant also looks like its possibly got mites or something along those lines...monitor it carefully.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you for your help i'll watch closely thought ive been growing cp's and orchids for a few years pretty sure it doesnt have any mites but i will watch , and change the media as soon as i get home tomorrow .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of which, I've heard that coconut husk is excellent for highland neps. (same with orchid bark, which you probably have handy).
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

BANNED
    Kansas / So If you Find Me You better shoot fatser Then Me !!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy conner View Post
    thank you for your help i'll watch closely thought ive been growing cp's and orchids for a few years pretty sure it doesnt have any mites but i will watch , and change the media as soon as i get home tomorrow .
    you can get a plant with mites ..... an not know you have them for quite some time . I got a Ventricosa from a vendor an it took 6 months before i noticed i had mites it was over a year after i got the last plant the ventricosa ...... sorry the vent was the last plant i got ... then a year later got another so i know exactlly where the mites came from .....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my young N. gymnamphora, had it for a month and a half now maybe, not 100% sure
    but it came from a place about 30 minutes from me so there isnt much of a temperature change lol. only lighting.
    the plant has already started to grow very nicely, the two completed pitchers on it were what it came with, and its condition looks a little rough but its nice and healthy.....gonna open a new pitcher in a week-ish and has another one on the way....

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

This is also my first time using net baskets on smaller neps, thought id give it a try since my 2 large sangs in a 10" net basket seem to love it...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd recommend checking for mites too. When I got back home after about 2 years away I found out my neps had mites. Poor things probably had them for the whole time I was gone, or close to that long. Are there spots of red on all the leaves or just that along the edge of the leaves?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just the edge of the older leaves they seem to do this as they age and die off , SirKristoff your gymn. seems to have spots on the reddish side, also along the edge of a couple leaves and some more serious darker red spots on some of the older leaves, does it have a fungal infection as well.
    Mine looked quits similar to this when I got it , nice plant good pitchering compared to mine. Im repotting when i get home what would use to kill the mites , if their there? systemics , oils, soaps ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey jimmy - no my plant doesn't have fungal issues lol. the old leaves were damaged by a cold snap at the previous owners house and the plant is also recovering from an aphid attack he had there a few months ago.
    Washington state @_@ cold and horrible horrible bugs. a bit of reddish spots and discoloration is common and doesn't always signal a fungal infection or insect infestation....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123