What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smartpots for Neps?

Hiya Fellow Nepers-

Saw this item in my local hydroponic store and thought . . . hmmmm.

http://www.smartpots.com/

Wonder if I should try it on my next nep.

Any thoughts, comments or experience with this product?

Thanks to all replies :hail:

:boogie:Happy Holidays :boogie:

E

I've never heard of these being used for Neps, but I have seen them in use at nurseries so they've got to work for some people. Looking at the prices on that website, though, I know I've seen rigid plastic alternatives that are cheaper, at least in the smaller sizes. I can't remember where I used to see them, but there's a plastic pot manufacturer that makes air-pruning pots that look a lot like aquatic net pots, but the gaps in the side are narrower and more intricate.
~Joe

I think they would probably work pretty well for neps. I'm convinced that one of the best things you can do for nepenthes is to make sure they can get air at the roots, and it looks like these pots would to that. I also like the fact that they're deep. The only think that might be a drawback is that they are not rigid, but you could probably figure out some kind of support if that presented a problem.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 AM ----------

I've never heard of these being used for Neps, but I have seen them in use at nurseries so they've got to work for some people. Looking at the prices on that website, though, I know I've seen rigid plastic alternatives that are cheaper, at least in the smaller sizes. I can't remember where I used to see them, but there's a plastic pot manufacturer that makes air-pruning pots that look a lot like aquatic net pots, but the gaps in the side are narrower and more intricate.
~Joe

I really like using net pots for nepenthes, but some of them have holes that are too big to hold the medium. I mistakenly ordered some like that one time and found that plastic needlepoint backing (like from a craft or fabric store) works great as a lining, and it even comes in black. It also works really well to line the bottoms of traditional pots. The holes are small enough to hold in the medium, but large enough to pull out nep roots that get tangled in it without breaking them.

Back