Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double basals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double basals

While watering the Neps tonight I ran across a pleasant surprise, one of them is sending up a basal. But when I took a closer look I noticed that right next to the first basal was a second basal being sent up. Is it common for Neps to send up multiple basals? The mother plant hasnt stopped growing or stalled, it's doing quite the opposite and the leaves and pitchers are increasing in size with each new leaf.
    My concern is that the basals may crash the mother plant because it's just a juvenile. Has this happened to anyone before? Any info/tips are greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HAHA. The same thing has happened to me a couple times. One time on my Thorelii x Rafflesiana x Talangensis x Inermis and 1 time on my Jamban. But yes. It still is a very un common thing to have happen.
    I think your mother plant will be fine. May want to use some superthrive on the plant just to be safe in case. Superthrive never seems to fail me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my ventricosa has 4 basals, and they all came out at the same time, all right next to each other. In my case, i think it might be due to shock, and the plant sent out some backup I'd say keep doing what you are doing, and making sure it is fed and it shouldn't be detrimantal to the neps health. congrats!
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

BANNED
    Kansas / So If you Find Me You better shoot fatser Then Me !!!!!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Menehune 9 at once

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

stupid question, what are basals, is it hwere the main stem divides.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basals generally come from the very base of the plant,, they appear to be new plants coming from the roots.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, that's reassuring to that. Wow 4 and 9 ?! I'll keep feeding the pitchers but I used coffee on the soil a couple weeks back so I'll just water normally. Sounds like I'll have some some sang x trunc basals coming up for trade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My original N. rajah had started making basals soon after I received it. By that first winter it had 4 basals. I let them get a bit of size on them (about 3" diameter each) then removed them and rooted them, ran some soil experiments with them and then sold/traded them off. A year or two later I removed four or five more small rosettes. After that it finally quit sending off basals and just put all of it's energy into the main plant and it grew big relatively quickly but I fertilized quite often as well, trying to go by the orchid growers axiom of "weakly weekly" (1/4 strength every week or at least every other week, watering 2 - 3 times a week) as well as feeding the pitchers with defrosted crickets.

I don't remember who got the basals I'd removed, so I don't know if theirs ever sent off their own basals or not. I sold the mother plant and most of my other huge plants to some doctor/plant collector from Northern MN when I got out of the hobby in late 2006/2007 so I don't know if it ever started making more basals or not, the trunk was woody by the time I'd gotten rid of it. Other plants I grew never made any attempt at making a single basal from seedling to flowering. Nep vines that dangle over the pots rim and then grow up of their own free will seem to make more basals than ones that get tied to a bamboo stake so they will grow perfectly straight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast