Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nep pest problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So white fly or the asian cycad scale

I justs finished treating all my nepenthes with neem oil...and the bad news is i may have found the pest on my n. caesar...my largest nepenthes in the collection though i never thought that it had any contact with the infected plant...so i made sure i treated that one really good

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    superman does "good"

you do "well"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only good thing about this pest is that it seems to ignore a lot of nepenthes - it only likes some of them. I've found that truncata hybrids are particularly tasty to them.
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capslock View Post
    The only good thing about this pest is that it seems to ignore a lot of nepenthes - it only likes some of them. I've found that truncata hybrids are particularly tasty to them.
    Very good observation Max. yes!! I can attest to that. The cycad scale seemed to like N. mira, N. aristolochioides, N. talagensis, N. fusca sarawak, N. lowii, N. alata and N. ramispina. However, there was a campanulata potted in the same pot as the fusca for over 6 months and there was no scale on the camp. Similarly, there was a N. rajah potted along with the N. lowii, N. aristolochioides and N. mira. Yet..there was no spread. The pest seems to be a bit choosy. Of all though...it loved the fusca.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

BTW....neem doesn't help with this thing man. Alchol swabbing is a must to remove all the adults. Then...as I said...there are crawlers you cannot see. PLUS...those adult shells are full of eggs and some must have fallen in the soil...so there are already larve in there. Hence....multiple treatments are necessary.

i highly suggest as Max said..... if these aren't too precious plants....I would seriously....I mean...really very seriously consider burning them. Trust me...you do not want to take chances. Scale, spidermites and thrips are huuge nightmares and if untreated...they can devastate your collection.

Ask if you need any more advice. I still get jitters when I look at your image man. Believe me...this pest was a real nightmare. I hope I never have to go through it again and I hope you make the right choice to destroy the affected plants or isolate them and treat them very very well with the above guidelines.

BTW...I also used 99% isopropyl alcohol....not the crappy 70% rubbing alcohol. lol! This thing was strong enough to burn the leaves of a villosa. lol I was trying to use it as a prophylactic when I saw some white marks.......sheesh...bad mistake...within minutes...the tissue died and the affected portions turned brown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am one to believe it is Asian Cycad Scale.....ive had experiance with these on my orchids back when i lived in Florida.......plus you can clearly see an adult in this image
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1263784803

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    BTW...I also used 99% isopropyl alcohol....not the crappy 70% rubbing alcohol. lol!
    Our chief microbiologist* taught me that this is a case when stronger is not better. According to her, IPA kills by drying out critters. 70% is better because it persists long enough to be impactful where higher concentrations evaporate too quickly to be as effective.
    --------------------------------
    Later edit: while the above is true concerning microbiological pests (bacteria, etc), I realized in hindsight that it may not be the same with larger critters (insects, mites, etc) - although the logic probably still holds true....

* - from a previous life where I worked in a large pharmaceutical manufacturing facility.
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Asian Cycad Scale looks like bad news. The adult scale males are the smaller white oblong shapes, while the females are the larger round oyster shapes. Here is another link:

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...a%3DX%26um%3D1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i decided i would also repot some today and i also found them on my female n. khasiana, they have taste for expensive plants is what im finding out...ill ask to get some better pesticide and possibly the alcohol, do they effect any other plants or do they just target nepenthes? And when applying the alcohol, do i go straight 70% or do i dillute it at all?

---------- Post added at 09:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 PM ----------

I received feedback from the seller, he said they were easily treated with Orthene, spraying and watering, has anyone used this before?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast