What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELLO? Did you say that?

I read in THIS tread that someone received a plant with the pest from a Hawaiian NURSERY!

In fact, many traders are more careful than nurseries. Besides, you can't buy everything!

Trading also gives a much better "bang for your buck".

I should Add There are only a few People That i Trade with an they know who the are .
An i know where an how they care for their plants . But Yes I dont just trade with Any one .
Hope this kinda clears that up. :blush:

Daren

I should Add There are only a few People That i Trade with an they know who the are .

Yes, we know who we are. I also know I'm still waiting on the go ahead to ship out a new Miranda that the cold got. How's weather?

An i know where an how they care for their plants . But Yes I dont just trade with Any one .
Hope this kinda clears that up. :blush:

Daren

Entiendo. Just thought I'd interfere ???

Sorry.

My treatment consists of (so far) Removed all (or most) bugs with q-tips and 70% alcohol. Then rubber whole plant with 70% alcohol. Then the next day treated with neem. Sprayed soil, Top and bottom of leaf. So far I had contained it as the plant is very new and I noticed the bugs about a week after purchace. Plant is no in the rehab tank! I'll keep this post updated with my results!

thanks for the update frilleon i'll post mine too...

since the infestation was found on a couple plants that were spread around my entire collection i decided to treat them all with the bayer advanced solution. mainly the nepenthes. i sprayed the soil and leaves with the solution every few days i double check the plants that had pests that were noticable and if a found small colonies i rubbed them off with a treated cotton ball. so far so good, the caesar doesn't appear to be suffering, the only nep that might not like the pesticide is my truncata but that might also be because it has scars from the squirrel encounter in the summer so open dried wounds on leaves might not be good when applying this pesiticide. i decided today or yesturday i would treat ping, and dews, all i did was spray a mist over them lightly and so far so good doesn't seem to be killing them. hope to eliminate this pests soon

OH man those infestations look bad. Good luck. I dread infestations. They can be such a bugger to deal with. I had a small whitefly problem last year. I found them early, only on one plant. I orthened my entire collection, that stopped that one before it got bad.

But a couple years ago I had a real problem with spidermites. I used neem oil. That helped quite a bit. But a few months later they came back. So then I used orthene again on all plants. I soaked them, including the soil. I did this every 14 days for 3 treatments. That worked, it wiped them out, and I haven't seen any since.

Try Al Bickell's Neem Oil Recipe. I don't know if it's trade marked or what, but was put onto it from another forum, here it is:

1 litre RO Water
1/2 to 1 teaspoon (2-3cc) Neem Oil
3 drops Eucalyptus Oil
1 tablespoon LIGHT Mineral Oil, vs the heavy
5-6 drops of Lemon Dish Detergent (wife variety not machine - ooh I'm in trouble for that one...)

Heard it works good for almost anything. Can definately say it works with aphids, gnats and ladybugs (accident).

Edit - I found multiple applications of straight neem oil did not seem to work well, this killed the bug(gers) first round, and no ill effects to any of my plants (Dews, neps, pings, lettuce, cyclamen, evening primrose, spider plant, african violets, etc...)

UPDATE

well i checked over the main infected plants again and found maybe one bug, or it could have been some cotton that stuck to the plant last time i treated it. so far so good, looks like im winning :), so id highly recommend for this pest using the bayer advanced insecticide. it seems to be safe on all of my cps, and ive sprayed them a few times. justs follow the instructions exactly.

the first treatment surprisingly was only about a week ago 1/21/10
today 1/29/10
8 days of treatment so far, seems like its been longer though.

how long should i keep checking them to make sure no pest survives?

other than that so far so good, i think its working great. so maybe you wont have to burn your plants when you find them on your plants next time.

Yay, that's awesome! I've lost *soo* many plants to bugs before, so it's good to hear when someone wins the good fight.

i would say keep doing teh treatments for atleast 2 months. Scale can have a cycle ranging up to 3 weeks.

....hopefully this isn't another pest??? found it on my n. gothica(profile pic is a current pitcher), which is not even in the same room as the other infected plants its downstairs...i'm not sure if it's a pest or if it was was something the insecticide did, i did treat them just to be safe too when i treated the others...

cps004.jpg

cps005.jpg

cps006.jpg

cps007.jpg

there do seem to be small brown bumps on the underside of the leaf

the white marks on the leaf are pieces of cotton left over from when i treated with neem

That looks like typical mite damage to me. If you treated it too then most live bugs should be dead. i would move this one to the infected room. Also just becasue they are in the next room dosen't mean you can't transfer them. As a general rule you should work on the infected plants last. Don't move from infected to not infected as YOU my spread the pests.

Update on my plants:
I found another plant with them on it. It would be a truncata hybrid (red dragon). The infection was light and treated the same way. So far everything is looking good on the first treated plant. I will continue to use the neem oil treatment until the weather gets better and I can treat with chemicals or the pests don't come back!

thanks, ill keep everyone updated on this new pest problem. as for the other one i believe all the adults at least have died off, i havn't seen any in awhile, though i will continue to treat them for the next 1-2 months. the plants are actually separated by an entire floor level, but yeah they could have caught on while i was looking through my plants and got to the lower level

good luck with your plants

Might be two species of scales . One is brown and cant really say for certain looks like Pseudaulacaspis sp. The small white guys are snow scale. Pinnaspis strachani . it is nasty. From the pics i see mostly males. No females (snow scale females also have the prominent ridges IIRC). Might be good sigh,(High temps miht cause them to grow up to be males and not females and reduce the numbers in the next generation) but over all these guys if not controlled can kill plants. (not sure about neps, have never had them on my neps. For other plants you might have wanted a light horticultural oil but don't think that will work on neps. best case. spot treatment with alcohol swab and the systemic. just the systemic will take a bit.

Ignore the pesticide recommendations at this web site. mostly giving to you for info on the pest.
http://www.extento.hawaii.edu/kbase/crop/type/p_strach.htm

Back