Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fiending for some nepenthes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fiending for some nepenthes.

I'm looking to buy two or three new nepenthes. This winter has been extremely mild and by mild I mean in the forties, with multiple inches of rain a day and gale force winds. But not freezing! so I want some plants.

I am thinking about getting two highland plants that will be in a terrarium as long as they can be, and one, maybe two hybrids or vigorous species that could do well as a house plant.

The plants I am interested in buying are:

N. macrophylla (very expensive though... )
    N. jamban (could this be a highland house plant?)
    N. glabrata
    N. rajah
    N. trusmadiensis
    N. spectabilis x ventricosa
    N. ventricosa x inermis
    N. burkei

I wanna hear which of those you guys would pick!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    speaking for N. jamban, it would make a great highland house plant, provided that you give it time to harden. it also vines quite early in the game so that might be a problem in a terrarium (mine has maybe 4 or 5 inches left before it touches the lights). same thing with N. glabrata. from what i know, they produce relatively small pitchers, so they fit well respectively into a terrarium vs an adult N. burkei, N. macrophylla, or N. rajah.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wondered about the warm weather parts of Alaska. Is it rainy and dark?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cp-connection View Post
    I've always wondered about the warm weather parts of Alaska. Is it rainy and dark?
    As I type, it is raining, and very dark.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    speaking for N. jamban, it would make a great highland house plant, provided that you give it time to harden. it also vines quite early in the game so that might be a problem in a terrarium (mine has maybe 4 or 5 inches left before it touches the lights). same thing with N. glabrata. from what i know, they produce relatively small pitchers, so they fit well respectively into a terrarium vs an adult N. burkei, N. macrophylla, or N. rajah.
    Nice, yes I realize those plants will grow larger, but not in a long while thats for sure. But that is good to know! so maybe if I got a jamban and started it off in a terrarium and then eased it out into the house...
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    burkei burkei will ned the high terr but look at this..
    and this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glabrata is small and will stay small for a long time. This is a good terrarium plant. I grow mine as a houseplant under T12 lights and it is doing good so far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets see i grow N. macrophylla, N. jamban, N. glabrata, N. rajah, N. trusmadiensis, and N. burkei....
    Out of those, the easiest to grow would be jamban, glabrata, burkei and then xTM or macrophylla. rajah would be hardest imo.
    jamban and glabrata are good sturdy, strong, vigorous growers and both stay rather small, though when vining the internode distance on a glabrata is insane, and i imagine jamban has got some size to its internodes, but generally stay pretty small in diameter....they are your best bets, the others i havent grown so no idea....but easiest would be glab, jamban, or burkei.....

my burkei that i received a few months ago with a dead growth tip, its finally recovered and growing nicely...so far it seems easy

My glabrata ive had for over a year and the thing is a weed, it was set back due to mites but now that they are gone, there is no stopping this thing unless more bugs come back *knocks on wood*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a lovely N. glabrata. Cudos!

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast