What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
I'm looking to buy two or three new nepenthes. This winter has been extremely mild and by mild I mean in the forties, with multiple inches of rain a day and gale force winds. But not freezing! so I want some plants.

I am thinking about getting two highland plants that will be in a terrarium as long as they can be, and one, maybe two hybrids or vigorous species that could do well as a house plant.

The plants I am interested in buying are:

N. macrophylla (very expensive though... )
N. jamban (could this be a highland house plant?)
N. glabrata
N. rajah
N. trusmadiensis
N. spectabilis x ventricosa
N. ventricosa x inermis
N. burkei

I wanna hear which of those you guys would pick!

speaking for N. jamban, it would make a great highland house plant, provided that you give it time to harden. it also vines quite early in the game so that might be a problem in a terrarium (mine has maybe 4 or 5 inches left before it touches the lights). same thing with N. glabrata. from what i know, they produce relatively small pitchers, so they fit well respectively into a terrarium vs an adult N. burkei, N. macrophylla, or N. rajah.

I've always wondered about the warm weather parts of Alaska. Is it rainy and dark?

I've always wondered about the warm weather parts of Alaska. Is it rainy and dark?

As I type, it is raining, and very dark.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

speaking for N. jamban, it would make a great highland house plant, provided that you give it time to harden. it also vines quite early in the game so that might be a problem in a terrarium (mine has maybe 4 or 5 inches left before it touches the lights). same thing with N. glabrata. from what i know, they produce relatively small pitchers, so they fit well respectively into a terrarium vs an adult N. burkei, N. macrophylla, or N. rajah.

Nice, yes I realize those plants will grow larger, but not in a long while thats for sure. But that is good to know! so maybe if I got a jamban and started it off in a terrarium and then eased it out into the house...

burkei burkei will ned the high terr but look at this..
IMG_1392-1.jpg
and this.
IMG_2211-1.jpg

Glabrata is small and will stay small for a long time. This is a good terrarium plant. I grow mine as a houseplant under T12 lights and it is doing good so far.

Lets see i grow N. macrophylla, N. jamban, N. glabrata, N. rajah, N. trusmadiensis, and N. burkei....
Out of those, the easiest to grow would be jamban, glabrata, burkei and then xTM or macrophylla. rajah would be hardest imo.
jamban and glabrata are good sturdy, strong, vigorous growers and both stay rather small, though when vining the internode distance on a glabrata is insane, and i imagine jamban has got some size to its internodes, but generally stay pretty small in diameter....they are your best bets, the others i havent grown so no idea....but easiest would be glab, jamban, or burkei.....

my burkei that i received a few months ago with a dead growth tip, its finally recovered and growing nicely...so far it seems easy
DSC03069.jpg

My glabrata ive had for over a year and the thing is a weed, it was set back due to mites but now that they are gone, there is no stopping this thing unless more bugs come back *knocks on wood*
DSC03072.jpg

DSC03074.jpg

DSC03071.jpg

DSC03075.jpg

What a lovely N. glabrata. Cudos!

-Hermes.

pretty pitchers :drool:

So I buy most of my plants small, and mostly neglected and on sale (the cheaper the better :banana2:). That makes them take a while to get up to size, even a truncata, but I'm ok with waiting. If you're going to get them acclimated in a terr and then make them window plants-

Macro will always be small in the span on five years because it's just so slow growing, I swear jamban is never actually in a "rosette" stage and is always a vine with some height to it (cadidate for household plant because it's surprisingly easy too!) bud doesn't eventually have the huge diameter of something like a truncata, glabrata is a tiny vine that from what I can tell, just turns into a glabrata bush over time but requires higher humidity to pitcher, and with my burkei I don't know because it was hit with bugs/dead growth tip for a while so it has finally started a basal to start growing again, a year later.

What else...why not get a gynamphora? Mine looks smaller than the glabrata, and I got them at the same time. And for a hybrid, why not an ampXsibuyanensis - the ones I've seen for sale are rather small still (must be a new release?), and it would probably make a pretty cute house plant too :). I don't know much about your other plants, but considering their parents they seem like they'll get rather large?

Thanks a lot guys for the responses. :) So Jamban is very hardy eh? I might have to get one now and see if it can hunker down to a low light/low humidity situation. Glabrata has always been a favorite so I might get that too. Rajah was just a whim, so I suppose I don't need one of those. Macro and trusmadiensis would be awesome, I'm sure, but just too expensive. :(

The only problem is that the plants I am thinking about now :

Glabrata
Jamban
Burkei

All come from different websites! Therefore I will spend a lot more on shipping. :(

Back