Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh Man

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Man

In the middle of winter, I find that there are red spider mites and scale on most of my Nepenthes. Everything needs to be treated with an insecticide, but I just can't put them outside right now... any advice?

Plants with mites include N. hamata, clipeata x eymae, and just about any other Nepenthes on my growlist. N. alata "Boschiana Mimic" has a moderate scale infection. I have no idea where the bugs came from.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have neem oil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh no!!!! ok i highly recommend that for scale, rub lightly with rubbing alcohol on the infect parts where you see the adult scale, for mites, i use neem oil, which will also suffocate the young scale and prevent them from reaching maturity.....i would rub with alcohol on adults, wait a day, then treat with neem and do this every week on a 2 month or so basis until you notice all of the pests are gone....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    oh no!!!! ok i highly recommend that for scale, rub lightly with rubbing alcohol on the infect parts where you see the adult scale, for mites, i use neem oil, which will also suffocate the young scale and prevent them from reaching maturity.....i would rub with alcohol on adults, wait a day, then treat with neem and do this every week on a 2 month or so basis until you notice all of the pests are gone....
    Thanks, Kris. In about two months, it would have been safe to put them outside. The scale shouldn't be too hard to get rid of as the Boschiana Mimic is the only one that has it as it was growing alone. Now I just need to find some Neem.

Drastic times call for desperate measures, I guess...
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would manually remove the adult scale in addition to that. If for nothing else than the sheer pleasure.

Just rub your fingernail lightly across the leaf as if it where a lathe against the leaf and watch them squish. Ah, revenge is sweet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just my thoughts but I'd get everything with some ortho product that contains acephate. Alot of folks don't like the chemicals but hey with that extra arm I can get alot more done ! Seriously if it's possible and safe (area) I'd nuke em. As well as a contact kill there is some uptake and will give a systemic effect too.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Repot your infected plants too. I just had some mealy bugs on a few orchids so I can some what relate....pests just find a way i guess. SK is right about the rubbing alcohol for scale, id try that in addition to spraying with neem. Horticultural oil/ soap works on scale and mites too, if the neem doesn't work for you.

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey what symptoms do plants initiallt suffer when infection of spider mites begins? Is reduction in leaf size a symptom?

I think My Jamban and Jacquelineae have them Although it seems to be just begining, as I saw only a few very tiny red specks that would move if prompted too... what other symptoms do neps usually show?
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast