What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

n.ariso pitcher macro

thez_yo

instigator
This pitcher was not grown by me, but is still hanging around from the nursery whence I bought it and was sitting perfectly in the sunshine today - I love how tubby the pitchers are on this plant! The pitcher height is 2cm max.

click for bigger pics:

I love how tubby the pitchers are on this plant!

i love the shape too, very nice plant, haha i like how the pitcher opening is so small compared to the whole pitcher

I'm really enjoying this plant. Mine is growing like a weed (sort-of) with all this cold weather. It just keeps putting out bigger & bigger pitchers. When i get a chance, I'll snap a pic or two & post.

looks like a mini bird house , for say imaginary micro hummingbirds .
if thez yo, are 2cm, about how large are yours Ron? and are these tuff to grow ?

Aristo was one of my faves, the colder it got day and night the better it grew. When summer really hit around mid July, it would pout until September when the cool day/night temps came back.

definitely one of my faves. i guess i'll just have to fawn all over yours until i can get one of my own. :)

I love it soooo much :love:

if thez yo, are 2cm, about how large are yours Ron?
My largest is roughly 3-3.5cm - so not large by any stretch of the imagination. However, the 1st pitcher I got after it arrived in mid October was only about 1cm - so it's progressing nicely imho.

In addition to the unique pitcher shape, one of the things I like about these guys is that the pitcher takes on the unique form at a very early age - unlike so many of the other Neps that have that "every baby pitcher looks like every other baby Nep pitcher" style...

... and are these tuff to grow?
At the moment - no. It's inflating its 5th pitcher since October and the size progression has been nice... However, I've learned that I don't really know how hard something is to grow until I've got at least a year or two under my belt. Some plants struggle in the winter & others in the summer. Although I've been growing CPs for years, I only recently allowed myself the luxury of getting a few Neps & Utrics - so I also don't have any real history growing any of these guys. Some people feel aristo's are tough - we'll see. Some felt that way about hamata's also - but the 2 I've had for about a year have grown like weeds continuously since they arrived (about a year ago iirc) as rootless little babies ... So - time will tell...

It just keeps putting out bigger & bigger pitchers. When i get a chance, I'll snap a pic or two & post.
OK - I agreed to post a pic or 2 but I need to apologize in advance for the poor quality. Typically I pull the plant out of it's home & march it outside. With the temps in the teens (*F) here - that wasn't going to happen. I ended up just snapping some through the dirty glass of the terrarium. Tried for more unobstructed views but then I got glare (blah, blah, blah...) ???

Now the excuses are over - here's the newest fully-formed pitcher (left - background) with the earliest (right - foreground) from October (& brand new tendril in between).
Naristo020110RS.jpg

Since the 1st pic was so blurry, here's a little bit larger pic of the moss-haven that the aristo & friends call home ... (with some effort, you can also compare the very different growth habit of the aristo & hamata)
Naristowfriends020110RS.jpg

Some nice progress! Love the N.hamata!

Nice! Love the dark colored pitchers on it, great looking hamata :)

Wow, that tank is drool-worthy RL7836..

Wow, that tank is drool-worthy RL7836..
:-)) You're kidding - right? I tend to view several of my older tanks as organizational nightmares - squeeze something in here, push that over there, let this grow over that. The hamata has taken over half of my largest D. ascendens pot and it's newest pitcher is setting up on the aristo pot ... :nono:

Its cuz I love the neps and seeing so many hamata pitchers - oh man :love:

I think about setting up some terras because I love seeing them nesting in such nice moss, but it would just cost so much more than the single-metal-shelf-in-front-of-the-window setup I have right now.

My babies~
P1310008.jpg

P1310005.jpg

Back