What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nep giveaway

Seed grown Nepenthes. Was traded to me as N. mirabilis x X 'Tiger'.

It is 6-8 inches across and has a small basal beginning to grow. It's in dire need of a repotting. Just answer the questions below and I will PM the winner. You pay postage.

What conditions will you grow this in?
What lighting will you give this Nepenthes?
What medium will you repot this Nepenthes in?
Why do you feel you deserve this Nepenthes?
What giveaways have you done in the past?

IMG_2873.JPG_595.jpg

IMG_2875.JPG

IMG_2876.JPG

IMG_2874.JPG_595.jpg

I don't want it but nice nep.
It definitely has mirabilis in it.
Why are you getting rid of it?
Peace,
Zero

A 55 gal terrarium with a glass cover for optimal humidity. The cover is not sealed so as to allow circulation and prevent mold. The terrarium is 18" tall. The temperature ranges from 64 degrees to 81 degrees F. I use RO water.

Here is where he would be living...

terrarium.jpg

A 575 watts of metal halide lighting (10,000K bulbs) and 280 watts of compact flourescent lights (dual 6,500/10,000K bulbs). The plants are on a 12 hour photoperiod.

Equal parts dried LFS, orchid bark, and perlite.

Who deserves a free Nepenthes giveaway? But I give of my experience where I can. I actively participate in the forums. And, I can provide a environment where the plant can flourish. I already care for two other nepenthes.

None. I entered one previously but did not win. :)

Thanks...

-Hermes.

Intermediate-Highland conditions in a 60 gallon tank, come summer time, my greenhouse with my other nepenthes.
T8 fixtures, x4 with two bulbs each.
Orchid bark/LFS/peat/perlite
Hmm....i dunno? ive recently gotten over my hump of not being able to grow lowlanders worth a damn lol
seed give aways, stylidium debile....some cobras with people who i talked to who were really wanting to try one out, some extra stuff here and there and gifts if people bought something....planning on doing some beginner sarra rhizome give aways here once i divide em in march.

I don't want it but nice nep.
It definitely has mirabilis in it.
Why are you getting rid of it?
Peace,
Zero

A bit tight on space right now so I have to be a bit more selective. Give and Take; it's also been a while since I've done a giveaway.

I will grow it in household windowsill conditions. The temperatures will stay between 60 and 85. The humidity is average in the winter, but in the spring and summer it will be high. I will water it with distilled water as often as necessary (two to three times a week on average.)

At present I have 4 hours of direct sunlight in an east facing window, but more or less can be provided.

I will repot it in long fiber sphagnum moss with a generous portion of orchid bark.

I love Nepenthes. If I recieve this plant, I will endow it with copious amounts of love and nurturing. I will even be sure to talk to it on a daily basis.
I am also not afraid to ask questions and do research. If I should find that this plant requires more specific conditions, I will go out of my way to provide them. That said, I am currently cultivating nine other Nepenthes with great success.

I have never done a giveaway before. This is my first time. In fact, I just joined this forum, but I love Neps, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Mirabilis x Tiger, eh? Sounds like a NeoFarm cross if I'm not mistaken. It sounds very promising.

I will grow it on my window. Because this has mirabilis and Tiger genes, I think that a lengthy acclimation process will be in order.

Natural sun from a southeastern and maybe a t5 supplementary light once/if I decide to get it installed.

What media will you repot this Nepenthes in?
My standard fast draining media of cedar mulch, pine bark, perlite, and broken sphagnum to retain some water.

I don't think I quite deserve it, considering how many Nepenthes I already own, but it's always a treat to get new plants. And if it despises me, I will probably pass it along to another grower in this thread.

I have done two SASE seed giveaways and have given away Genlisea, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia cuttings at a few BACPS meetings.

Good luck to you guys and girls! :)

(BTW Yann, there are a couple of "Tigers" roaming around... I think most of them are different species from Thailand and Indochina.)

Only 4 people interested in a free Nep?? :scratch: Is there a Nep strike I dont know about??

Well I've got too many on order to contemplate adding another nep to the jungle. ???

On my highland grow rack

Under my T8 light rack: 5000K coolwhite + 6500K daylight

1pt lfs 1pt perlite 1pt orchid bark

Because the one I have that is doing GREAT needs a big brother (or sister)

I gave away D. Cape, D. adelea, and several P. titans recently

My greenhouse, high humidity, natural lighting for 6+ hours a day. Around 70-80degrees F depending on time of day
Natural lighting for 6+ hours of semi direct sun
fine orchid bark. All my neps thrive in it.
I have been growing nepenthes for a while now and deserve this one because it will help expand my lowland collection.
Free N. tomoriana

I will be drawing the winner this weekend so if this is an interest to you, please enter now.
I also just found a 2nd basal on the plant.

heck ill enter too.
for maybe a few weeks or so it will be on my dorm windowsill in a tank until i can get back home. at home it would start off in one of my terrariums and ill harden it off to outside the terrarium. and itll probably grow outside with everything else during the summer.
at my dorm- natural sunlight for 3 hours or so and a 100 CFL bulb right above it. at home on my shelf- 15 hours of 160 watts of daylight fluorescent lighting. during the summer they will get partial shade with direct sun in the morning until about noon.
a mix of LFS perlite and very fine pine nuggets. the ratio is about 1:1:1
ive been growing neps for 5 years now. i seem to have a bit of a knack for growing them and keeping them happy.
U. sandersonii, livida and calycifida. P. moranensis and 'Titan'. N. ventricsoa, "TC Mutant", extra nep and darlingtonia seeds, and occasionally a freebie nep seedling when im sending out a plant(does that count as a giveaway? haha)

Alex

Winner has been PMed
Thanks to all that entered, and please don't hesitate to enter my next giveaway when it comes around!

Winner has been PMed
Thanks to all that entered, and please don't hesitate to enter my next giveaway when it comes around!

Congrats to whoever got it! :-O

Thank you very much for the nepenthes, F R e N c H 3 z.

Here's the latest pitcher from the mature vine.

xtiger.jpg

I'm not seeing the picture, did you remove it? Sorry for the delay I've been gone this past week. Sounds like you enjoy it, glad it went to good hands.

Edit: Never mind, my phone was not loading but my computer loads the picture just fine! Thanks for the update!

Last edited:
If i may suggest, Looking at the leaves and pitcher it looks like a pure mirabilis.

Back