Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: N. spectabilis x ventricosa

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And here's one that froze. It's a N. Mikeii that I got in the mail a few years ago. Woops! I like to call it Mummy plant. If D_M is still around (don't see him much anymore,) he'll certainly remember!
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyJones View Post
    And here's one that froze. It's a N. Mikeii that I got in the mail a few years ago. Woops! I like to call it Mummy plant. If D_M is still around (don't see him much anymore,) he'll certainly remember!
    Be careful, my usernames D_muscipula.
    I would sure hate to see that picture of mikei associated with me because of a misunderstanding.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sss View Post
    That looks exactly like mine did. I ordered a N. Miranda from back2eight(loveishere on ebay) during the winter and it arrived like yours. I am assuming it was cold damage. Does your plant have a bit of orangish color to it? My plant was doing pretty poorly the top started dying off but then a couple of weeks ago a little bright green bump appeared on the base of the stem and it is starting to come out a bit. Nothing big right now maybe like 3-4 mm long but it's definately growing.
    Yeah, I've gotten several things from loveishere on ebay, but they always arrived healthy for me. This plant was from a different seller, but I think it was USPS's fault more than anything...that and the lack of a heat pack. I did get a partial refund though, so it's ok.

Mine does look a little orange, but it's turning brown more than anything. There's still some green though, so hopefully it'll bounce back like yours has.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is definitely cold damage. I've had it happen. As mentioned, SSS got a miranda from me that had this happen during shipping, and we are waiting for warmer weather so I can reship a new one to him. I have accidently left some outside and they froze and that is what they look like. You will lose most of the plant, but don't toss it, it will regrow from the base. It's damaged but not dead. I shipped that Miranda out knowing it was a good chance it might freeze, but it was a chance I took and I am replacing it. Right now it is cold again and snowing, and I am holding off on any shipments at the moment. Shipping in winter is always risky! Depending on your seller, they may be a butt and not replace it, but then again, even though it is damaged and that is disappointing, it probably isn't all the way dead either, so don't give up on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I lost a couple of pings to cold damage. They had been frozen solid repeatedly. They looked like the kind of wilty lettuce you get at Taco Bell. It's no fun opening those kinds of packages.

-Hermes.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    D_M, I was talking about you! I didn't get the plant from you, I just remember talking to you in the chat about how ridiculous it was!
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you weren't talking about me, but other most likely didn't

I got two small lowland nepenthes about an inch in diameter in the mail, both of them had cold damage. They were that cooked grean bean color and were black in the center. I potted them up and place them in highland conditions and oddly enough they recovered in no time at all, I'm guessing two months.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermopolis View Post
    It's no fun opening those kinds of packages.
    So true! And thanks for sharing the sunburn pic! I was wondering what that would look like.

Quote Originally Posted by back2eight View Post
    That is definitely cold damage. I've had it happen. As mentioned, SSS got a miranda from me that had this happen during shipping, and we are waiting for warmer weather so I can reship a new one to him. I have accidently left some outside and they froze and that is what they look like. You will lose most of the plant, but don't toss it, it will regrow from the base. It's damaged but not dead. I shipped that Miranda out knowing it was a good chance it might freeze, but it was a chance I took and I am replacing it. Right now it is cold again and snowing, and I am holding off on any shipments at the moment. Shipping in winter is always risky! Depending on your seller, they may be a butt and not replace it, but then again, even though it is damaged and that is disappointing, it probably isn't all the way dead either, so don't give up on it.
    I won't give up! It's shriveling up in places, but I checked it today and realized that it had absorbed most of the water I gave it on Monday. If it's still thirsty that has to be a good sign. Speaking of not giving up...I am happy to say that the N. smilesii I got from you a while back is finally coming out of its funk. The little guy has got some new growth

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast