User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how the carp do they do it? (yes i said carp)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what does "carp" mean then?
    its in the subject line, but then is never explained..

just curious,
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    So what does "carp" mean then?
    its in the subject line, but then is never explained..
    t
    i purposely spelled "crap" wrong --it got your attention didn't it
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason few people breed pure species has been stated: Nepenthes hobbyists are few and far between, and Nepenthes themselves can be some of the most demanding plants most people ever own. You take this into perspective and the fact that any of the few large collectors and breeders in the world ever even manage to have two flowering male and female plants of the SAME species at the same time is a miracle in of itself.

Also has been stated, but Nepenthes are true tropical plants. As with most trees and plants that grow in the tropics they often flower in irregular patterns or whenever the often very specific sub climates that various Nepenthes species grow in allow them to do so.

Also I think it should be stated that in comparison with Sarracenias, Nepenthes are often larger, longer lived plants. In all reality they are extremely different plants all around.

And you ask what keeps Nepenthes surviving in the wild and not getting interbred into oblivion? Well they do interbreed quite regularly, as there are many known naturally occurring hybrids. What keeps species from disappearing altogether is that the islands they are endemic to separate species from each other geographically. (many species secluded to single peaks, basins, or cliff edges.)

The irregular tropical flowering season is another reason why many Nepenthes species ARE rare, vanishing or endangered. When man interferes with environmental factors it can severely disrupt the delicate breeding cycle of these awesome and complex plants.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im with you there Dexenthes. however, i would like to go further in depth about the reproductive cycles of Nepenthes if there is any. for the most part, i understand that most scientific journals surrounding nepenthes species consist of species descriptors, physiology, and generalizations, but not much detail into exploring specifics of life history. what would be nice is if one could find an article that records the number inflourescences within a local population over time to determine whether it is truly a sporadic flowerer or if there are environmental triggers that we've failed to notice.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally agree, there should be somebody studying such a thing. Sadly I don't think many people with a profound enough interest would have the budget or capability of carrying out a study like that.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12