What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Raff stopped growing

Maxx

Someday is not a day of the week.
Hey,

Wow, haven't been on here in a while. But anyways, I have small ~6" raff growing in my tank and I noticed it hasn't been growing as well lately. The leaf size decreased dramatically and pitchers aren't developing, it has been in thr same conditions as before too. I have it growing under a T5 light and the temp is usually about 80 and the humidity high80s. What could be the problem?

If your conditions have been stable the entire time, slower growth can be an indicator that plant is producing a basal or preparing to flower. That's if your conditions have not changed though.

How old are your T5 tubes/bulbs? If they are old ( 1 -2 yrs), they lose intensity and spectrum. That could be the culprit. Also how close to lights the raff is as light intensity decreases with distance from lights. This sounds like a light problem to me as raff like alot of light. Also you said you have it under only one T5? I have a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 8 T5's above my terrariums when I had them. Have now moved all my neps to my lowland/intermediate greenhouse.
Another problem may be that it is root bound and time for a repot.

A dramatic decrease in leaf size can also be a sign of root rot. Are you keeping the soil too wet, perhaps the soil has decomposed and rotted a bit? When is the last time you repotted it?

A pic might help.

Dont forget that leaf size will often decrease if the plants are given a lot of light because they dont have to have a larger surface area to gather more energy....when my smaller plants are under strong lights, the leaves commonly decrease in size as opposed to under lower light, you might not have enough RH? how far away are your lights from the plant? since T5s are insane heat producers, id be wondering if its a heat stress issue or sudden and dramatic humidity changes...

Ok here's some pictures. I know the light setup is small, but my plants have been growing fine under it. It is growing in sphagnum moss, with live sphagnum on top. I keep it in a tray all the time. It's roughly 8" away from the light. Tell me what ya think.

Raff002.jpg
Raff003.jpg

A bump on this in case anyone has a more definitive idea after me posting pics.

Back