Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to grow Nepenthes Hamata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to grow Nepenthes Hamata?

I found some Nepenthes Hamata for sale for good prices. However, I know they are not as easy to grow as a Ventricosa or Ventrata.

Would I have better luck growing it indoors on my windowsill (perhaps with a humidity dome) or outdoors on my covered patio?
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that so? you found some hamata? may i ask where? pm me!

but as for hamata maintenance, if you can get good lighting on your windowsill or patio, go for it--i dont think it matters. if it's a small plant, definitely keep it in a place that has high humidity. i think what matters most is if you can give it that drop to 50F every night.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though I have never grown hamata, I daresay that it will be very difficult in either situation. First of all, hamata is a highlander/ultrahighlander, so you will need a significant temp drop at night. Also, hamata is VERY fussy about humidity when young. If you still want to go with the window/patio idea, however, ask elgecko (the guy with a magic window where he grows an amazing hamata). He might have some good tips for you.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poor hamata is such a misunderstood plant. The thing about it is how fragile it is when people first get it which is usually as a small tc plant. In tc it's in very high humidity and most of the plants you get are fresh out. They haven't been hardened off to outside conditions and so they go into severe shock usually. Once out of that stage they can be adjusted to a wide variety of conditions. Elgecko grows his on a windowsill. And it's vining. Or was anyways. It still can be a really touchy plant though. I don't grow it. But I do grow tentaculata which is as close to hamata as you can get and it's a pretty easy plant but it's still really sensitive to humidity fluctuations. If you do get hamata just keep in the back of your mind that it's gotta be treated like a baby for a while until it grows out of that stage. Good luck!

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My hamatas - one sits on a rack that's currently getting 3-4ish hours direct sunshine light, the other on a window sill with 6ish hours direct sunshine. I kept them in bags when I first got them for 3ish weeks, but they're acclimating really well. They've both just put out new leaves and I don't think I've had them for more than 1-2 months. My humidity varies from 60%-85ish% (because I live on the coast) without any artificial misting system or lights or anything. Not sure about temps...definitely drop at night because I never use my heating, but I'd say take whatever temp it is outside in SD and add 5-10 degrees during the day is what it is in my house, and probably whatever the day time temp was is my nighttime temp inside.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While I think that humidity with N. hamata is important enough, it is also overplayed a bit; and that temperature drop at night -- especially in warmer climates -- is a considerably bigger concern . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @thez_yo That actually sounds like a good strategy, considering that currently, nights in the San Diego area (like where I live) are around 50-55F right now, which is perfect for highlanders. However, won't it get too hot during summer, considering there will be 90-100F days and nights at about 75F?
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    once again hamata IS NOT an ultra highlander......it DOES NOT need to drop to 50 every night, i grew the dang thing for years and it never saw 50......it does like a drop at night but down to 60-65 is fine.....mine saw 80 days and 60 nights and was happy as all get out and would still be happy if it didnt react badly to an insecticide i used on it.....when small it is also touchy on humidity, doesnt need to be 90% but i sure wouldnt let it fall below 50-60% when its young, when it gets older its not as fussy...but if it is fresh out of TC you prolly should give it near 95% and slowly acclimate it down to lower...
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast