What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lady Pauline Closeup

Nice maxima x tal clone. Much easier to get to pitcher than pure talangensis and pretty, spotted pitchers. Lots of basals too.

feb2010-ladypauline3.jpg

feb2010-ladypauline2.jpg

feb2010-ladypauline1.jpg

I thought that Lady Pauline was talangensis x maxima. If this is the plant you got from Lois, it's the EP cross maxima x talangensis. Either way, the cross and reverse are very vigourous plants. :)

I thought that Lady Pauline was talangensis x maxima. If this is the plant you got from Lois, it's the EP cross maxima x talangensis. Either way, the cross and reverse are very vigourous plants. :)

Hey Clue,

<soapbox> I don't make any distinction between mother plant and pollen donor. I figure that differences between one plant and another are attributable to normal genetic drift and variance. It used to be that people were very interested in knowing the pollen donor and mother plant in sarras as well, but we've not seen that enforced for some time. I've yet to receive a good explanation as to why one parent would have dominance over the way the plant looks - The female plant provides all of the mitochondrial DNA, but this is not expressed at all. Just look at the thorelli (boko?) x aristo plants that we got from Max: same batch of seeds, different looking plants. Therefore I don't put much stock on who's the egg and pollen donor. <soapbox>

I don't think you can call other crosses with maxima and talangensis Lady Pauline, only the actual one.

As for the cross name, I mean it is good to keep the female first two know which plant was which gender. I have noticed in crosses and their reverse that the female is more dominant for some reason., for example Exotic Lady, and lady pauline, both show a stronger reseblance to their mothers from pictures I've seen. Ither crosses display this too.

I'm not arguing the fact that Lady Pauline is a cultivar and only vegetatively produced plants should carry the name. What I object to is the almost religious observance of marking female first and then male. It doesn't seem to make much of a difference in my observations. Like I said: Sarracenia crosses used to mark female first and then males but eventually this seems to have fallen through the cracks: Sun Warrior and Carolina Cooler - both plants from the same cross - different looking plants. Sarra growers like Peter D'Amato have even gone one further: The introduction of grexes for complex crosses. I speak strictly for myself, but I feel that noting female and male will eventually lose relevance in the coming times.

I'm not arguing either,I misunderstood you. I know people are following this 'religiously' but hey, there might not be any real reason why, but why stop doing it? I personally like this system, just for the sake of knowing the gender the parents. I don't see what there is to object to with this system of naming, its more accurate I suppose :)

Great looking plant nonetheless

The Lady is stately!

Back