N. clipeata clone 3

clone 2 pitcher

clone 3 pitcher

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You da man Doug! I love 'em!

This day had to come sooner or later where someone posted some clipeata pictures! Clone three is a male, too, Doug. It's the only AW clone to have flowered.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice pitchers! Those leave are so cool looking too.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrific! I love these plants. I hope to get one someday sooner than later. It's good to see that there are healthy specimens growing, even if it is in isolated terrariums and greenhouses on different continents.
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys,

That's good to know Clue. Now hopefully clone 2 will turn out to be a female.

Ant, I also think the unique leaves on these plants are one of their best features.

Dex, I agree. With these plants quite possibly now extinct in nature, their future survival might rely on plants currently in cultivation. I'm still holding out hope for an as yet to be discovered colony. And if that does happen, it's location would have to be kept either a closely guarded secret or just closely guarded, until some of that plant material was at least legally and responsibly collected.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been keeping very close tabs on it lately, so its believed that it's extinct in the wild? That's very bad news if so. We can always hope that there are more out there to find. With all the new species that are discovered each year, it's a possibility. Unfortunately the newest species seem to be being found in the Philippines and Sulawesi, areas that haven't been hit as hard by commercial palm plantations as Borneo. It's a shrinking planet, and I hope I can make it to Borneo before what I'm looking for is gone.

Are there only these three clones in cultivation? That's a tiny gene pool if so. I get sad every time I see a clipeata hybrid, to me it just signifies how much easier it is for the plant to be lost into genetic obscurity....

Oh, and what kind of conditions do you grow yours in? Is it a very extreme lowlander? How tolerant of intermediate conditions would you say it is?
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dex,

I believe there are five clones in commercial propagation.

Wistuba has clones 2, 3 and U. Borneo Exotics is getting set to release two additional distinct clones also, according to the Stewart McPherson books, PPotOW.

Then there are probably others out there, poached or otherwise, in private collections.

I grow mine in intermediate conditions, under fluorescent lights in my basement.

They probably get up to 25C during the day and then the temp drops down to 20C for the night.

I don't do anything special for humidity, and it is very dry here. These plants are quite hardy, I'm finding.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! Thanks for the info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast