What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

commercially available Nepenthes edwardsiana

It's finally happening. ._.

Sweeeet! Not too long until they become more widespread. Can't wait! What an exciting time to be alive! :)

I hope they get sent to good homes instead of first-time growers.

I hope they get sent to good homes instead of first-time growers.

I don't think first-time growers have even heard of Andreas Wistuba, let alone think of paying 150 euros, plus shipping, plus permits... etc for a tiny TC'd plantlet.

A milestone in Nepenthes history!

I just got on a waiting list for an Eddy plant. He should have more sometime in the middle of this year.

How do you go about getting on the waiting list, I didn't find an option.. maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

Have to email him to get on the list. Too rich for my pockets. But hey it's a start, maybe in several years it will be widely available.

How do you go about getting on the waiting list, I didn't find an option.. maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

I emailed him to see if he would put me on a list for when he gets more of them. His email addy is on his home page towards the Bottom of the page.

He said that he is confident that he will be able to fill my request for an eddy for when they become available again sometime this year.

Hehe - the entire quantity of eddy's he offered today were gone in merely less than an hour.

holy ****!! thats damn expensive!! wow!! Its like the amount I spend on food/groceries for an entire month.....my hydro bills for 6 winter months.....my cell phone bill for almost 4 months. (lol!! cheap uni student :p)

damn!! I wish I had the cash for this.

holy ****!! thats damn expensive!! wow!! Its like the amount I spend on food/groceries for an entire month.....my hydro bills for 6 winter months.....my cell phone bill for almost 4 months. (lol!! cheap uni student :p)

damn!! I wish I had the cash for this.

Set aside 1 dollar every day. In one year, you will have $365 to spend on an expensive plant.

lol!! Probably end up spending 30$ at the end of the month on sushi buffet with friends. LOL!! :p

$30!? Our sushi Buffet is $7.99 a person but then maybe the salmonella sushi bar isn't the best after all... LOL

I've finally made "the Eddie list"! :banana2:

$30!? Our sushi Buffet is $7.99 a person but then maybe the salmonella sushi bar isn't the best after all... LOL

Hope that salmonella sushi bar comes with health care... Perhaps a 'Free one per customer immunity shot' :)

Congrats on making ''The Eddy List''!

150 euros, not bad for an extremely rare plant in cultivation. Are these seed grown or TC'ed? Most likely TC'ed from this supplier. I wonder how many different clones there are? Also remember I believe the shipping and handling fee will be added. I think my fee for my last order form this supplier was 27 euros. These plants will probably be less than an inch leaf tip to tip. Still about 180 euros for an eddy is not bad. Good luck everyone who gets one.
I am no longer growing highlanders so I will not be getting one. I am concentrating on my new lowlander/intermediate greenhouse. I am more excited about this suppliers new Thialand Neps that have been bunched together as N. thorelli. I can get one of each of these for less than 150 euros all in.

Since I'm only going to get absolute faves and interesting smaller species this time round instead of collecting every single Nep I can get my mitts on my price per plant can go up especially for a long-desired for centerpiece plant like this.

I asked him if there was different clones but he didn't say. I have to imagine there are a few, let's hope they're all at least orange or red and not yellow/green forms - what bummer that would be! LOL

I guess it was only a matter of time before this plant was commercially available. Personally, although I won't be getting one any time soon, I'm surprised that the plant is only 150 Euro. I would certainly expect it to be a bit more expensive considering the attention this plant garners/the desirability it holds. Either way, somebody at Borneo exotics is kicking themselve for not being able to get a couple clones of this plant. I'm sure the current supplier pays the same amount of money to TC all his plants, therefore, he is making a killing on these sales. Oh, the money you can make when you have something lots of people will pay a lot of money for.

While I don't doubt Wistuba's veracity, I have received seed from overseas, purporting to be Nepenthes edwardsiana on three different occasions since 2002 -- from what I then believed to be reputable sources -- only to discover that they were either N. macrophylla or, far more often, N. trusmadiensis.

I would be interested to know the provenance of that seed and its tissue culture. For US 205.79 per plantlet (just ex vitro), I would hope for some minor assurances . . .

Do you have to pay the price of the plant to get on the waiting list? It would only make sense.... If that's the case I may have to just forfeit and get one in a year or two when the price drops or I have more money again... I already bought myself a few expensive toys

Back