Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: late to hamata ? clone 1, 2, 3, 4,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question late to hamata ? clone 1, 2, 3, 4,

Im just to the hamata frenzy, would like to add one of these guys to my collection, any ideas on which clone , and if i even would have a choice in the matter? are all the clones equally beautiful? ive noticed clone one , will probably be the hardest to come by.
    Also ive only seen a pic or two of clone two, and several of clone one wowiee, but ive yet to see clone 3 and 4, any one have these clones, and pictures of them? any advise , anyone ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clones 1-4 come from AW. But all of the major suppliers have hamatas like BE and MT. There are even seed grown hamatas from BE? that have been available in the recent past that from what I can tell are the red hairy version which have been hardest to come by until recently.

Clone 1 is the most widely available from AW. I think because it is the most popular of the clones. But I have heard that all of the AW clones look pretty much the same.

I only have the AW Clone 1, and I have a BE clone coming as soon as it warms up. But I have no idea what it looks like compared to the AW clones.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IIRC Tony had said some years back that the red was not stable and after they matured a bit they turned dark like the rest. Maybe someone has a mature red form now but that was the consensus when I was going to buy a red to go with my 'typical' hamata.

Regardless what clone you get it's an awesome plant and grows quickly from 4" diameter on up if it's happy with your conditions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The majority on the market that you find from TC are from G. Lumut. Most are green with the dark purple blotches and dark peristome. A few were green with some reddish/purple veining which also got a reddish/purple flush to the pitcher as they got older. I think what Swords is referring to is that when young some of the G. Lumut N. hamata can have alot of red/purple coloration on the pitcher besides the purple blotches. From what I have seen this lessens as the plants grow larger towards maturity.

The red hairy one is a different form entirely with no purple blotches. These are buggers to grow..

The recently introduced seed grown N. hamata from BE is yet another form. These have a bit of fuzz on them but with colors more like the G. Lumut types.

---------- Post added at 01:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Sorry I can't answer your question on the Wistuba clones since I don't currently grow any. But is there anything such as an ugly N. hamata? hehe
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm then that's new - and I shall need one of each!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too am interested if there is any variety in the AW clones. I am definitely thinking about making an order with him in the very near future...
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    The recently introduced seed grown N. hamata from BE is yet another form. These have a bit of fuzz on them but with colors more like the G. Lumut types.
    Ah, good to know. I do like the seed grown forms I have seen released recently. Many of them are fuzzy and the leaves can be very red.

You are right, I don't think I have ever seen an ugly hamata. Or perhaps, that is what makes them so endearing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    upwhiz,

Here are pics of Clone 1 from AW and the clone available from BE. I just got the BE clone today so I can't really give you much more info than the picture.

BE Clone

AW Clone 1

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast