Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Low humidity Neps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow almost all my neps in humidity 10-35% for about 5-6 monthes out of the year and they pitcher.It's 34% right now.
    If you provide good light, water, and soil that should be enough. Of course some do better then others. I also never acclimate my plants when I get them.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I currently grow sanguinea, albomarginata, ventricosa, reinwardtiana, ventricosa x mira, sibuyanensis, and sibuyanensis x ventricosa all on a shelf with a grow light at regular room temp and humidity. I got others too, this is just what I could think of off the top of my head. Growing and pitchering nicely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also looking for Neps that will grow and pitcher in lower light levels, I know ampullaria will but not with low humidity.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seedjar: I've got the same problems, but my doctor doesn't just tell me to exercise more but sends me to physical therapy because it's what she had to do to finally fix *her* bad back. I'm currently going for my back (4 weeks left!) and it's the most painful exercise I could possibly think of. The guy did get me to stop walking funny after a horrendous knee injury, so I'm glad he's there to make sure I'm not doing the exercises wrong, and to switch them up for something easier if they're feeling too painful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have read that N.rafflesiana can be grown on a windowsill in low humidity too, can anybody here confirm this? I always wanted a raff but figured it wouldn't do well without high humidity.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The raff just kinda sits there because of the cold, *slowly* making new leaves, but not making any pitchers because it doesn't get enough sunshine (not enough hours):

(raff, clip, etc. all in 3" pots for size reference)
    EDIT: all are also in front of a window at apartment temps (chilly...usu. 70, 75 during the day, 60-65ish at night) and humidities (cheap humidity meter tells me it's usually 60-80ish % on the nep/orchid rack).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, my rafflesianas don't do well at all unless they are hot and humid. Definitely a lowland grower.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    I am also looking for Neps that will grow and pitcher in lower light levels, I know ampullaria will but not with low humidity.
    You can only have one or the other, in general practice. If you do find a plant that appreciates sub-par conditions across the board, let us know. My best guess would be a hybrid involving a vigorous grower (like from the maxima group) and a scrambler that's accustomed to understory conditions (talangensis, inermis or maybe aristolochioides?)
    Why can't you improve your light levels? For small plants that can be kept close, four 40W T12 tubes are enough to string Neps along. Using six, mine actually seem to be quite happy with the arrangement. Sorry to nitpick, I just think that more light would probably be the simplest course of action.
    Like the others said, rafflesiana is durable, but requires warmth. You're almost certainly going to want a plant that is known to grow well as an intermediate - anything more specific than that and I'm pretty sure you'll have to focus on highlanders.

Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    seedjar: I've got the same problems, but my doctor doesn't just tell me to exercise more but sends me to physical therapy because it's what she had to do to finally fix *her* bad back.
    Lucky you! I was unfortunate enough to encounter some problems with stress at the same time that I began to recognize my aches and pains were not normal, which happened to coincided with a particularly ugly part of the aftermath of my parents' divorce. This was also during the peak of the trendy "juvenile depression/anxiety/ADD" diagnosis-and-medication craze, before they knew how dangerous SSRIs are for children, so I was quickly labeled a headcase and medicated so heavily that I couldn't advocate for myself. My doctors eventually noticed I was still miserable and pulled me off once the side-effects became severe and obvious, but the whole experience was so counterproductive and unpleasant that I shied away from doctors for years for fear of a repeat. It took 10+ years and switching insurance plans for any of my "caretakers" to even suggest my problem might be related to posture and send me to physical therapy. I couldn't afford to go to regular appointments, and have since been dumped by my insurer, but I've been doing exercises on my own for several years now and am making gradual progress. But because all that is on my charts, I still have a tough time getting doctors to seriously entertain the notion that my aches and pains aren't psychosomatic or deliberately made up. :/
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast