What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dead or dying pitchers

I know it's not uncommon, but when I get new plants with some slightly larger pitchers on it they start to die off when the plant starts to adapt to my grow box. It's a real bummer, but I know it needs to happen in order for the plant to adapt. So my question is, should I cut these dead or dying pitchers off? Should I wait until the pitcher is completely dead before I cut them off? I read that it takes energy for the plant to keep the pitchers on, and I figure if I cut them off once they start dying it will give the plant more energy to adapt and grow. Am I correct in assuming so? Thanks for any info you can offer..

its up to you, since they were shipped to you chances are they dont have any pitcher fluids or insects really, you can cut them off if you want....

Personally, I would cut the pitchers off (even undamaged ones) because they will eventually die from transplant shock. I would just let it grow new pitchers in it's new environment.

....it's been a while since my newly acquired plants have ever aborted any pitchers. mikeii was the only one that fussed. of all my others, they resumed growth as usual. although now im getting problems trying to get my talangensis to pitcher. hopefully my tweaked conditions will allow it to grow.

alrighty then.. clipping the pitchers it is.

Back