Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some exciting news...

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Veitchii as well, especially the varieties with the bright green/yellow peristome. Call them plain Jane or not, I like the flare they offer up. Just haven't been able to justify the cash to pick one up. Congrats on those seedlings, they reached good hands. Such a shame to know they will be the only remnants of their parents...
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if they are indeed the only remnants, i just really hope they germinate and i am able to get a couple of good strong plants for myself for a breeding pair in the future, hopefully if the area isnt too far gone we can send seed back to that location to start the population back up...if not atleast we can have seed of them here to keep their memory seems that might be the only thing keeping thorelii around now too there in vietnam after this last incident unless the kid is telling the truth and francois found the wrong site....

here is a photo of my veitchii that ive had for about a year or so now...maybe a bit longer? idk, maxposwillo traded this to me when it was about the size of a quarter....it has dropped its leaf size again from better lighting but for awhile filled the pot. lol i think it looks better now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, more seeds are indeed around in the states here....and the rest of the world

to quote a PM he sent me
    Hi Kris,

seeds were collected from 2 candy red veitchii, their pods already split and releasing the seeds.

Seeds were send to 4 person in the US, 4 in Europe, 2 in Australia, one in Singapore and Thailand. some seeds were also distributed to 2 friends in Bario who have big piece of land where neps ( reinwardtaian, stenophylla & veitchii) grows naturally. I myself sow 30 seeds on 22/02/2010 partly to find out their viability & rate of germination.

Attached photo plant in-situ. Photo was taken on January before the seeds ripe.

There are flowering male veitchii ( green and candy red form) growing few feet away from the female. About 200ft away there are flowering male reinwardtiana and stenophylla. There are hybrid among veitchii but rare in occurence, and not in the location where the seeds were collected.

regards,
    name removed for this purpose

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knowing that those amazing plants and that beautiful habitat have been destroyed by constuction reminds me of why I have absolutely zero faith in humanity.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that is such a nice in-situ pic!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    again i dont believe this habitat has been harmed, but rather the MAIN habitat.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear efforts are being made to propagate the "Bario striped" form of N. veitchii. Kudos to all involved...

I'm very sorry to learn of the habitat destruction. There's just too many humans on this planet.
    kpg
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love those two flowering plants! They look like a real happy couple. Also, your little guy, man, that is a terrifically vibrant red tendril it has!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast