What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ephip-pi-ippi-ippi-ata

I received this N. ephippiata back in May 2008. It was a small plant and I potted it up into a five inch pot.

These first three pics were taken in March of last year. The pitcher was only an inch tall
IMG_0950-1.jpg

IMG_0954-1.jpg

IMG_0961-1.jpg

The weather was quite nice here today, so I shot an update of this plant outside.

Here is a shot of the plant from above. It is still growing in a five inch pot.
IMG_2635-1.jpg

This plant's pitchers last a long time. The largest pitchers are now just under four inches long.
IMG_2682-1.jpg

The newest pitcher to open, on the left.
IMG_2641-1.jpg

dvg

Totally drool-worthy!!! :drool:

I swear, your plants on are steroids...

it's a HOTTIE! :-O

Beautiful plant, you've got there . . .

:0o: NICE PLANT!!!

That plant is simply awesome!!!! Very well grown

Very Impressive, and Beautiful dvg. Nothing like canadian pride to boost ones neps!

Outstanding, as usual Doug ;)

Very nice plant. Can't wait to see it vine for you. It should be spectacular.
One thing: Sedges can be very invasive and have long, ropy roots that can quickly choke the delicate roots of neps and once they take hold, it's nearly impossible to erradicate them from your pots. You may wish to consider removing them from your very outsanding and well-grown nep. :)

Great looking plant - one that doesn't appear to be in many collections.
I received this N. ephippiata back in May 2008. It was a small plant and I potted it up into a five inch pot.

These first three pics were taken in March of last year. The pitcher was only an inch tall
Based on your pics, the plant grew very little in a year (Mar 08 >> Mar 09) and then took off & grew quickly? Any special treatment during the last year? What temps does the plant see? Have you found it to be finicky?

Great looking plant dude. Love the peristome coloration. :)

ive had mine for 2 or 3 years and it is still the same size as a quarter!!!!! yours is amazing

here is my ephippiata, its only about 4" in diameter
DSC_0007.jpg

DSC05041.jpg

what your grwing condtions ( humidty, tempeture,and lighting)

What a charming species! I've always had a crush on that plant, and your pics didn't help :)

Beautiful, well grown plant! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for all of the positive feedback. It is very much appreciated.

Brokken, thanks for the heads up with regards to the sedge grass. I think the seeds of it are already in the Chilean sphagnum I'm using. It is invasive and sends it's roots right out of the bottom of the pot. I'll have to spend some more time pulling it up.

RL7836 and Manzano167, I'll try to answer both of your questions here.

When I first got this eppie, I just grew it under lights in my basement and didn't try to give it much of a night time temperature drop. This plant's previous owner had sprayed it with something to get rid of some small pests. So with it recovering from that, and being repotted by me, plus going through an adjustment period to it's new conditions, all of that could have accounted for it's slower first year of growth.

After I started giving it cooler nights and began the Dave Evan's coffee treatment regimen, it started growing larger and faster for me.

Though it hasn't been too finicky, it does grow slowly, but steadily in my conditions.

It is grown under T8 6500k fluorescent bulbs.
Daytime temps are 20C and nightime temps are about 8C this time of year.
I don't have a gauge to measure humidity, but I'd say humidity is fairly low during the day and quite high at night.

regards,

Doug
dvg

Great plants, both of you. I think this is such an under-appreciated species. Cannot wait until mine starts to put on some size like yours. Mine grows moderately, actually faster than I had expected. Much faster than my lowii.

Back