User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Coffee Treatment Curiosity . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've decided to try a bit of the java on a nep that is struggling a bit to pitcher. I'll let you guys know how it works.
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an N. 'Red Dragon' growing in pure lfs (That's how it was shipped to me and i haven't seen the need to repot yet) that I gave the cofee treatment last month (12oz very strong cold black coffee). The plant is growing in a west window and gets 2-4 hrs direct sun, as well as 2-4 hrs supplemental lighting from a 23w cfl 2-3 in from the plant. I also give the plant a good soaking of schultz african violet food at 25% strength every fortnight or so. And the plantgets fed heavily with carpenter ants. The results so far have been favorable, the latest leaf is 2 inches longer (6in vs. 4) and the tendril is about 2x as thick, I'm hoping this means the pitcher will be larger when it opens?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO, the reason so many get such results from coffee is that the plant is basically starving. 0ppm water is not natural, neither is the critically low amount of nutrients found in common cp substrates used by hobbyist.

There is plenty of good peer review research on this subject. One striking example is Cephalotus. Cephalotus gets as much as 70% of its nutrient ions from its roots, it loves to be root fed, especially when young. I root feed mine all the time and they love it.
    Their root based nutrient uptake is also tied to pitcher intake once the plant has at least 4 pitchers. So its not an either/or situation, it's a balancing act that is regulated by pitcher phosphorous intake IIRC (I would have to dig through my notes for the specifics) .

You cant dump a bunch of plant food on something that is getting poor light, or one that is lacking in another area and expect it to be able to utilize the nutrients. It has to be treated as a inter-related dynamic variable, not a static one.

Lubomír Adamec has done some great research into this subject. Every CP grower should read his work. If nothing else at least read this

http://www.bestcarnivorousplants.com..._nutrition.htm

Coffee may work great for one person and not for another, just depends on what link was the weakest in their chain.

Just my 2cents

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Av8tor1: what do you root-feed your cephs with?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    IMHO, the reason so many get such results from coffee is that the plant is basically starving. 0ppm water is not natural, neither is the critically low amount of nutrients found in common cp substrates used by hobbyist.
    That's kind of what I figured. I'm using it for one plant in particular that has not been foliar fed in over eight years and is now having a bit of a problem forming pitchers--my other neps are doing just fine. I probably would have fed it epiphyte's delight as a foliar feed, but I seem to have lost my container of it in my various moves from state to state.

So, I'm not expected a miracle. But I am hope it will give my plant a "pick me up."
    "The grass withers, the flower fades. But the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8)

My Grow List Updated Oct 22/2010.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Av8tor1: what do you root-feed your cephs with?
    historically Ive used a non urea based orchid fertilizer... just start slow and let the plant tell you when it needs it and how often. Be aware that there will be a time lag before you see results.

caveat, regardless of method (coffee/fert/etc) this all depends on species and enviromental conditions. So feed gently, then wait and watch...

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, would a 20-10-20 urea free orchid fert at 1/4 tsp per gallon work well for neps and cephs?
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exo,

Forgive me but in a way you're kinda missing the point I'm trying to make. You just need to start off slow and see what works best for you...
    What works for me may kill your plants, or it may work great or possibly do nothing at all.
    Unless we had identical plants, with identical lighting, with identical watering regiments, with identical soil mixes, with identical co2 levels.... etc etc etc

It only takes one overfeeding to kill, underfeeding just results in slower plant growth
    Coffee would indeed be safer, why not start there

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast