User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Succumbing to French Roast Pressure . . .

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! BigB...that is certainly not from my generation. But its funny in the second clip, how that endless need for strong black coffee leads to a cup with the consistency of gel. lol!

But coming back to plants, For sure! I definitely want to try this and see if I can get comparable results to what you guys are seeing. I am just a bit scared to try it on the few plants that are doing well etc. Unfortunately, the paradox is that probably these are the ones that might be the only ones which can benefit from the coffee. Others meanwhile still have to recover from their stress.

But, I will for sure try this on a couple of dispensable plants and see how it goes. But first, I need to grab hold of somone who can make some coffee with distilled water. lol!

@thez_yo: Thats a very good point man. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the water on Mt. Kinabalu is very conductive. The mountain itself is granite. THere is a lot of mineral leeching into the water. Although, what plants love is the constant draining of the root zone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    But, I will for sure try this on a couple of dispensable plants and see how it goes. But first, I need to grab hold of somone who can make some coffee with distilled water. lol!
    When I make coffee for my neps, I use a french press with a massive pile of coffee grounds almost as deep as the water I put in. I use RO water in the french press, that I then dilute into a gallon jug or two so that I'm not brewing 2 gallons of coffee cuz that's just a pain. Then I don't have to wait for 2 gallons of hot coffee to cool either, and if there's extra left over, I get delicious, wonderful coffee for myself too

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks man. I will definitely follow those instructions.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an update, now six months out, from the first coffee treatment; and I have found the results to be very impressive -- on all of my Nepenthes, not just those pictured. As mentioned before, the leaves became a more verdant green and the live sphagnum had to be trimmed back on several occasions -- something which had not occurred previously, at least not remotely at that rate. Aside from my usual biweekly application of one quarter strength orchid fertilizer, which long preceded the use of coffee (and, arguably, did its job), the only discernible difference in cultivation was the use of good old java.

In addition to those plants, I had treated a small Nepenthes rajah back in March, which, following its long reputation, had been growing very slowly. After the treatment, the leaf production was much faster, larger by three-fold; and there was even the production of pitchers for the first time and a basal, which can be seen below. Those basal leaves were the size of the original plant back in March . . .

Here are the plants:

Nepenthes villosa -- March 2010

September

Nepenthes macrophylla

September

Nepenthes rajah -- September 2010
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome plants David...
    Is that the rajah i sent you some time ago?
    love the villosa and macros as always....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    awesome plants David...
    Is that the rajah i sent you some time ago?
    love the villosa and macros as always....
    Thanks . . .

Yeah, that the N. rajah you sent me back in January or thereabouts. It looks as though it likes the California weather -- and we had the first night in the high forties recently . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats the point of using RO water to make the coffee with? your just adding a TON of dissolved solids back into it anyways by making coffee

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Millipede View Post
    whats the point of using RO water to make the coffee with? your just adding a TON of dissolved solids back into it anyways by making coffee
    Simple: because we have chlorinated well water and the TDS number hovers around 450-500 ppm at the get-go; that, compounded with the use of coffee is far more than likely to burn the live sphagnum and unduly affect the plants.

Also, coffee is far better here with filtered water. Why do the plants deserve anything less?

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast