User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Succumbing to French Roast Pressure . . .

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually treated all of my plants with coffee last week. I think it may have been much too dilute, but I don't think it's safe to try a more concentrated mixture this soon. Anyway, sphagnum is growing ridiculously fast, but it's difficult to discern the speed of new growth for the neps since I also had to spray everything down with a pesticide.. that, and it was just a week ago. I'd also like to know if anyone has since used the coffee treatment more frequently than just a bi-annual application?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait i took this post as something completely different. the plants look great, but are you saying we should give coffee to our neps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow amazing results! It's always interesting to see which Neps respond to coffee as drastically as these ones have

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like I'll be buying a coffee maker for my plants now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Whimgrinder View Post
    Indeed, do you have pics and/or comments to update us, Dave? Please?!
    Whoa, this was certainly an old thread to resurrect . . .

I still recommend the use of full-strength coffee (prepared with distilled or RO water) on Nepenthes; and my plants have responded very well to its use over the last few years (and far more effectively than any commercial fertilizer than I have ever used). I now use it biweekly or monthly without any issues to the live sphagnum moss; though I thoroughly rinse the posts a day or so after each application.

I have now started using it as of 2012 in a more controlled setting on a new group of seedling highlanders, including N. edwardsiana, N. hamata, N. macrophylla, N. rajah, and N. villosa; and I will post their progress in the months to come . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do you get all of these rare neps? I can't find any anywhere...

Congrats on the coffee stuff... I had the same results with Maxsea foliarly. I tried coffee a week or two ago and haven't had time to see results... Well actually, nothing happened on the smallest nep that got the most coffee because it's a stupid plant. The others haven't put out new leaves yet... But when I flushed the pots with coffee... OH MY GOSH. That sphagnum sprouted new stuff everywhere!

I haven't read all of these pages so I may have missed this, but how often do your neps get coffeed? I'm eager to make my neps grow big quickly. Just don't want to overdo the coffee. EDIT: Wow... Just read your last post. Stupid me. I get it now. Thanks! Do you think it will be bad if I did it bi-weekly, one week coffee, next week foliar Maxsea, next week coffee, ect..?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, David. Since you now use coffee once or twice per month, have you altered your use of commercial fertilizers in any way, as in do you fertilize bi-monthly and use coffee?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato77429 View Post
    Thanks, David. Since you now use coffee once or twice per month, have you altered your use of commercial fertilizers in any way, as in do you fertilize bi-monthly and use coffee?
    During the active growing season -- say, early Spring through Late Fall -- I generally fertilize biweekly (drenching the plant and compost) with a 1:4 strength 30:10:10 orchid fertilizer and use the coffee about once a month. On a few occasions, I have replaced one of the orchid fertilizer days (out of sheer laziness) with a second dose of coffee without any ill effects. I have also found that maintaining a compost pH (measured indirectly by the leachate in the trays) of a maximum of five or so seemed far more important, in the long run, than the application of any fertilizer -- whether that goal was achieved through coffee; or, in the past, through the once-popular use of a peat "tea" . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei