User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Succumbing to French Roast Pressure . . .

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting point you make about whole bean vs. instant coffee. A while back I did used instant coffee on the stronger side, I did notice some increase in size and rate of my nepenthes, especially N. macrophylla. I wonder how those results will compare now that I used french press coffee for my latest application.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an update, about four weeks out, after the first application of coffee to a pot of Nepenthes villosa seedlings, that had been previously posted on another thread. I had thought it important at the time to wait until they were a bit more established before fertilizing -- or any other nasty experimentation that occurred to me. The cold coffee, brewed with RO water, and only slightly diluted (since I experience coffee as a near solid) was flooded through the pot; and the plants were rinsed with clear water the following morning -- so as not to encourage any algal growth or other unspeakable nastiness.

It should also be mentioned that the Nepenthes in question were quite healthy to begin with; were provided with the most accurate cultivation that I could manage; that is to say, relatively warm days, not exceeding 25˚C and cool nights of about 10˚ or even cooler. I would not encourage either fertilizing or treating with coffee any plants that were of marginal health; those recently shipped; recently re-potted; or any very young seedlings.

It is fairly clear to see in the two photos that the lamina -- the flattened portion of the leaf -- on all four plants have increased in size, almost doubling in some cases, since the beginning of May; so too the production of pitchers . . .

Nepenthes villosa: 1 May 2012

31 May
    Last edited by BigBella; 05-31-2012 at 07:30 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive results, David. That leap in size is comparable to what some people are seeing in half a year or more with villosas of that size. Adding coffee to one's fertilization routine is starting to seem like more of a necessity than a mere "perk"..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i see what you did there

perk he says

Hear the Call of Nepenthes carnivoure12's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very impressive results for a month David! I definitely agree that to achieve this, you need a conbination of healthy plants, good conditions and then you add the coffee. Thanks for the update.
    -Carnivoure12
    →Growlist

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably has been said, but...

Exactly what brand/roast/type of coffee do you use? I haven't gotten any results like this from coffee... Or at least I'm not seeing the results from it yet.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    Probably has been said, but...

Exactly what brand/roast/type of coffee do you use? I haven't gotten any results like this from coffee... Or at least I'm not seeing the results from it yet.
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't you try coffee for the first time only two or three weeks ago?

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato77429 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, didn't you try coffee for the first time only two or three weeks ago?
    Yeah... That's why I said it probably hasn't had time to kick in. But look at BigBella's villosa seedlings, in 30 days they had leaf jumps. I have had a few neps put out new leaves that began to develop right as I did coffee treatments, and they're not any bigger...

But still I'm curious of what kind of coffee you are using.