User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Succumbing to French Roast Pressure . . .

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I've been told not to do it so much. I've been doing it once a month. I've done it twice so far. It's been three weeks and I got a bunch of new plants and I'm eager to do this again, as its helped out a ton with sphagnum. I always do a flush two days after. How does it sound if I did once every three weeks for six weeks, then I bumped it up to once every two weeks?
    I'd say once per month is more than enough to achieve the results you want. Unlike fertilizer, the results of coffee don't seem noticeable immediately after application, but seem to show up a bit later. However, if you're intent on doing it more, just make sure you thoroughly flush the media or else you're going to have some serious decomposition issues. I'm not sure if you've ever left coffee out too long, but it doesn't exactly take a long time for mold to show up. If you just want to see your sphagnum grow, why not separate some in a terrarium and only treat that biweekly?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the latest Nepenthes update, from last week:

Nepenthes villosa 28 June

1 August
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to still be working wonders, David. I see that your pots are growing that green/carpet/non-sphagnum moss (don't know what it is); have you noticed an increase in it since using the coffee? I never had it in my pots until I began coffee fertilization and have been in the habit of pulling it out wherever it appears. Looking at your pots, however, it seems like it's sort of a non-issue.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mato View Post
    I see that your pots are growing that green/carpet/non-sphagnum moss (don't know what it is); have you noticed an increase in it since using the coffee? I never had it in my pots until I began coffee fertilization and have been in the habit of pulling it out wherever it appears. Looking at your pots, however, it seems like it's sort of a non-issue.
    I have to trim / remove both the sphagnum and the other invading moss on a regular basis; had I not, you would not have been able to see much of the plants themselves. I don't think that coffee is any direct factor, since many of my pots that don't receive the same treatment (the flytraps, for example) seem choked with both . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there better options if you're like me and don't drink coffee? Since I don't care how it tastes or how well prepared it is, couldn't I just boil the beans on the stovetop? And could I get cheaper beans that no one would want for drinking, but would be fine for fertilization purposes? It'd be nice for some coffee pioneer to work out how to get the cheapest (probably undrinkable) coffee at the lowest price. Or maybe I'll have to be that pioneer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonetc View Post
    Are there better options if you're like me and don't drink coffee? Since I don't care how it tastes or how well prepared it is, couldn't I just boil the beans on the stovetop? And could I get cheaper beans that no one would want for drinking, but would be fine for fertilization purposes? It'd be nice for some coffee pioneer to work out how to get the cheapest (probably undrinkable) coffee at the lowest price. Or maybe I'll have to be that pioneer.
    You are that pioneer; be that pioneer.

Here, endeth the lesson . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just used the costco ground coffee and boiled it for a while. Most of my plants seem to love it (even tho I think I cooked it too long this time).
    Of course ground vs whole bean I dunno, maybe you have to cook it longer.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if any of you know about this, but Starbucks has been known to give away large bags of old, ground coffee, specifically for use in gardens or those with no taste buds. Just walk into one of its many tentacles and ask about it.
    Last edited by mato; 08-08-2012 at 06:52 PM.