User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Succumbing to French Roast Pressure . . .

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are some spectacular plants BigB. wow!! Definitely the effort from an expert grower. Just spectacular!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be a cool couple of plants to test that out on
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't wait for the results! Finally a "scientific" experiment with coffee watering! How many test\control subjects are there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's funny. Beautiful plant you have there, and I am thinking the same thing as two others..
    "Where did you ge those plastic pots??"
    I asked Peter at California Carnivores, and he said he can't even get those any more.
    Looking forward to your reports, also on how that live sphagnum likes it.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngantnier View Post
    Can't wait for the results! Finally a "scientific" experiment with coffee watering! How many test\control subjects are there?
    I have a total of eighteen (hardly a statistically-significant number, but the seeds were hard to come by -- and what I had on hand) Nepenthes seedlings (of two highland species), half of which received the 13 March coffee treatment and one-quarter-strength 30:10:10 orchid fertilizer (the latter, on a biweekly basis). I have also included those older plants, just along for the ride.

The "control" group (and I say that advisedly) will simply continue to receive the biweekly orchid fertilizer (since those plants have already been receiving it since germinating. Ideally -- had I planned this earlier -- I would not have subjected this group to any fertilizer whatsoever; but, seeing as I have already muddied the water, I don't wish this group to be unduly affected by a "sudden" change of conditions.

Otherwise, both groups are subject to identical lighting, watering, and temperature conditions . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm yeah.... Using orchid fertilizer already.... That could definite skew the results! It could lead to over fertilizing in the long run, maybe? Who knows. Still can't wait to see what its going to end up looking like!
    LOOKING FOR: N. (argentii x bicalcarata) x {[(lingulata x edwardsiana) x (naga x hamata)] x [(klossii x undulatifolia) x (aristolochioides x rajah)]} Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=124586

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    Hmm yeah.... Using orchid fertilizer already.... That could definite skew the results! It could lead to over fertilizing in the long run, maybe? Who knows. Still can't wait to see what its going to end up looking like!
    Well, there was little choice really, since I came to the "coffee treatment" late in the game and didn't have any untreated seedlings; but I am not too concerned with over-fertilizing of the plants, since the 30:10:10 is very dilute and only applied biweekly. I have only treated the plants with coffee on a single occasion; and, so far as the seedlings are concerned, they possess only juvenile pitchers for the time being, and don't strike me as too successful in feeding themselves . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While it is still a bit early to see coffee's potential effects on the batch of Nepenthes plants that were doused on 13 March, I can already confirm -- in all of my pots -- what many growers have posted: that java also gives the live sphagnum moss a serious kick in the pants . . .

Nepenthes villosa -- 13-31 March 2010

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast