What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Succumbing to French Roast Pressure . . .

[H]ow many times do u run water through the pot/media?

Welcome back; and I simply run a generous amount of water through the media until it visibly drains -- and is on the clearer side. Any coffee, save for instant, should work. I prefer darker roasts; and the one from the place in my neighborhood happens to be called, "Heart of Darkness."

Makes you sit up and take notice . . .

...and the one from the place in my neighborhood happens to be called, "Heart of Darkness."

is your coffee shop plagued with hipsters reading James Joyce too?

Here is the latest update of the creepy little plants, the largest of which is now 6.3 cm (2.5 in):

Nepenthes villosa: 22.08

Nice job David. That sphagnum is awesome.

wonderful David! thanks for sharing with us your progress!

Looking good!!! I see one is a few leaps ahead of the others, have you tried Osmocote on any of your seedlings?

Looking good!!! I see one is a few leaps ahead of the others, have you tried Osmocote on any of your seedlings?

Thanks all . . .

In answer to your question, I don't use Osmocote for any Nepenthes; and it's also rather toxic to most species of sphagnum, in my experience.

It is simply a clear illustration of the genetic variability of seed-grown plants; they were all treated identically . . .

VILLOSA-5-1.jpg

Last edited:
Yea David you're definitely right, the sphagnum on my coffee fed neps is just fine but the osmocote fed ones not so much!
IMAG00461.jpg
IMAG0047.jpg

For some reason, I decided to add a pellet of osmocote to each of my pots before I went to Atlanta last week, only to find the live sphagnum had turned to green slime in many of them after just a week and a half. Not sure how I forgot about that. Suffice it to say, I won't be using that :censor: anymore.

I put my osmocote under the live sphagnum.

I put my osmocote under the live sphagnum.

That was never an option for me. The bulk of my composts are live moss and not simply some top dressing . . .

Ah I see, I usually just use dried sphagnum and other additives, the osmocote pellets seems fine on the live moss I have though but I only use one pellet per pot. I have thought about using live sphagnum in the compost itself, do you find it to be beneficial?

Ah I see, I usually just use dried sphagnum and other additives, the osmocote pellets seems fine on the live moss I have though but I only use one pellet per pot. I have thought about using live sphagnum in the compost itself, do you find it to be beneficial?

I do find it to be beneficial. Here is a brief excerpt on growing live moss, from a few years back:

"The moss also has the additional benefit of providing local humidity for sensitive species and serves as a good indicator of when water is needed, since sphagnum will quickly discolor as it is dries; and it is also highly-sensitive to fertilizers of any sort, indicating through its easily-burned tps, a potential "early alarm" for the grower. In addition, it tends to eventually crowd out any "unwanted" items in a pot. I have never seen Botrytis, for example, or damping off, where the sphagnum actively grows . . ."

Here is a happy little pot of 2013 seedlings, fresh after a French Roast soaking, illustrating something in the way of variation, both in terms of color and size. I am particularly fond of the red-leafed bugger, which promises something special within the next decade.

Nepenthes edwardsiana 12 August

Last edited:
Wow those are beautiful! Those are from marai parai correct?

They were from a mixed lot of seed from some Japanese clients, who had been interested in having the species tissue cultured. I also had some site-specific material from them some time ago; but I am not sure of the particulars . . .

Oh I see, they look similar to the marai parai ones you posted pics of a while back. I hope to see some villosa pics too soon!

Here are some happy seedlings, shortly after their morning biweekly coffee, during the Summer. I replanted the whole lot a while back, in a more ultramafic -- let's risk the finicky plants -- compost; but I have seen little difference, based upon the others. They are doing fine and are, perhaps, a bit greener than before; but that could just be the season . . .

Nepenthes edwardsiana 26 June

Back