User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Succumbing to French Roast Pressure . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    David,

I prefer mine a little on the strong side as well.... tends to be a little weak on this side of the pond
    Do you mean 25% coffee or 25% water?
    The non-cp refs state 25% coffee, but they may be using it much more frequently...

Butch
    Sorry, I meant a coffee concentration of about 75% (25% water). Just how frequently to do it is still up in the air, and biannual application seems to be the only information currently available. In terms of concentration, the coffee was still opaque in the liter bottle . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big,

Sounds like you are seeing increased plant growth already then?
    ...I immediately noticed a marked increased growth of the sphagnum within ten days of the coffee application -- and, visibly, more rapid growth of the plants themselves (notable because most of the highlanders, otherwise, develop very slowly)...
    If the growth is in fact increased, there must be more to the coffee than the addition of normal fertilizing nutrients that are already found in the orchid fertilizer you are using!
    (Does it contain trace elements?)
    The coffee could be providing other trace nutrients that are not in the orchid fertilizer, or there is always the possibility that some compound in the coffee, is acting as a growth hormone of some sort. (for example: a hormone like gibberellic acid, as opposed to a nutrient.) Well, enough speculation... Back to the actual experimenting!

(I can see the next experiment.... how many "cups a day" will a Hamata "drink" compared to a Bical?!)
    Some people I used to work with were so zipped on coffee, until noon when they reach for something a little more cold brewed or distilled!
    Besides, I have to know how much to buy now, before the results are in and everyone drives up the price of coffee!

Well, kidding aside, I find this an interesting experiment... especially as I mentioned, beyond just whether coffee has common fertilizer values/components. Ever since I was a little kid I remember my grandfather using coffee grounds (and dumped cold coffee) on his roses, as well as my uncle using them on the compost heap.

Good luck All!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another "old school" method was oak leaf tea, fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/3rd with dead oak leaves... top off with water and set in the sun for a few days... then pour off the liquid and use.

and of course the old stand by of "compost tea" but one of its claims to fame was the beneficial bacteria in addition to the nutrient value

(digging in my closet for my tie-dyed shirt, power-hitter and mother earth news LOLOLOL)

Thanks for the leg work David, much appreciated mate
    Butch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowinOld View Post
    Big,

Sounds like you are seeing increased plant growth already then?

If the growth is in fact increased, there must be more to the coffee than the addition of normal fertilizing nutrients that are already found in the orchid fertilizer you are using!
    (Does it contain trace elements?)
    The coffee could be providing other trace nutrients that are not in the orchid fertilizer, or there is always the possibility that some compound in the coffee, is acting as a growth hormone of some sort. (for example: a hormone like gibberellic acid, as opposed to a nutrient.) Well, enough speculation... Back to the actual experimenting!

Good luck All!
    I did notice a more rapid development of leaves in highlanders such as N. lowii, N. rajah, and N. villosa, among others -- all of which otherwise grow at a snail's pace.

The 30:10:10 orchid fertilizer also contains the following: 0.05% Cu, Mn, and Zn; 0.10% Fe, and 0.0005% Mo . . .

I would definitely consider myself a skeptic, but I am truly impressed with the early progress that I have seen; and I do have to hand it to Dave Evans, dvg, and several others who had, shall we say, the "testicular fortitude" to dump a bunch of stale coffee into their expensive, often difficult to obtain Nepenthes. Had I not read their anecdotal accounts and seen some of their amazing results, I would never have attempted it . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
    Thanks for the leg work David, much appreciated mate
    Butch
    You're definitely welcome. I'm willing to try anything that works and won't put my plants on the compost heap, just yet . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh!
    tie-dyed shirt, power-hitter and mother earth news!
    The good old days!

(Hey...power-hitter? ) Not a lot of people here gonna remember those!

I did say "The good old days", right?!
    I think I still have a copy or two of Mother earth in the basement!
    Along with my Whole Earth Catalog! (Honest!)
    And here people think this coffee thing is a "new" idea! Mother Earth had us doing it all! (And some of it a bit more off the wall!)
    Heck, I guess we were "Green" before people knew what Green was.... (a way to un-hook off of the "grid", civilization drop-out, self sufficient and one with nature!)
    A mindset brought on by effective "power-hitting" no less!

Now, back to the coffee!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a little update on the Nepenthes villosa with a new leaf almost fully developed -- fast growth for this species. At the very least, someone has just got to trim the verge -- for the first time since the plant has been potted . . .

Nepenthes villosa -- 22 April

7 May

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beautiful plant BigB. Amazing and inspiring as always. Btw...I really like the quote in your sig. Indeed very very wise words.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    Beautiful plant BigB. Amazing and inspiring as always. Btw...I really like the quote in your sig. Indeed very very wise words.
    Thanks . . .

I have my fingers crossed that the next pitchers will look more mature than last season; and I have always liked that Galileo quote . . .

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast