User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Succumbing to French Roast Pressure . . .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really nice to see the progress your villosa is making BigBella.

And it appears that it is getting some benefit from the coffee treatments you are giving it...good stuff!

I was looking at mine and noticed that it has a basal shoot poking up out of the sphagnum...three leaves and just over two and half inches in diameter, leaf tip to leaf tip.

Now I just have to figure out how to bring this along and hopefully root it, too.

dvg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvg View Post
    It's really nice to see the progress your villosa is making BigBella.

And it appears that it is getting some benefit from the coffee treatments you are giving it...good stuff!

I was looking at mine and noticed that it has a basal shoot poking up out of the sphagnum...three leaves and just over two and half inches in diameter, leaf tip to leaf tip.

Now I just have to figure out how to bring this along and hopefully root it, too.

dvg
    Thanks, I do see marked improvement -- or speed of growth, anyway . . .

I've removed basals from N. villosa on two occasions with an X-acto knife and successfully rooted them in live sphagnum with Clonex -- though it took months for roots to form . . .

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Thanks, I do see marked improvement -- or speed of growth, anyway . . .

I've removed basals from N. villosa on two occasions with an X-acto knife and successfully rooted them in live sphagnum with Clonex -- though it took months for roots to form . . .
    That sounds encouraging. How many leaves did your villosa basals have before you separated them from the mother plant?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvg View Post
    That sounds encouraging. How many leaves did your villosa basals have before you separated them from the mother plant?
    Each of the basals had two fairly compact leaves, nothing like the larger basals on most other Nepenthes; and I wasn't even aware of their existence until I was rooting around the moss, looking for pests . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gorgeous plants, BigBella, and a very intriguing experiment. (I use Maxsea once a month, and along with enhanced growth of the Nepenthes, the sphagnum really thrives and requires "pruning".
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" - Mark Twain

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa, last words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Each of the basals had two fairly compact leaves, nothing like the larger basals on most other Nepenthes; and I wasn't even aware of their existence until I was rooting around the moss, looking for pests . . .
    Thanks for that info. Now I'm looking forward to seeing that sucker root.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started coffee treatment in addition to my MaxSea regime and it's really produced some impressive yields. It's 2:30am right now and I couldn't take my plants out to photograph in detail, but I did snap a couple of my favorite plants in my collection. These are 3 weeks into treatment. The "Coffee Treatment Curiousity" and this thread led me to try it. I experimented with pitcher feeding coffee on my windowsill N. Deroose Alata downstairs and it accelerated pitcher death in my scenario. The plant that has shown the most increased vigor though is my Veitchii x Platychila. Check out the size of that pitcher compared to the earlier one! Sadly the heat we've been getting lately dried out the older ones the plant shipped out with

I also included a picture of my N. x Miranda because in the last month it almost has doubled it's leafspan with the last 3 leaves it's put out. That new leaf is like a foot long in itself. I haven't experienced any pitcher abortion as of now so hopefully I'm not overdoing anything.

I am a huge supporter of coffee feeding now after my results.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't tried the coffee method, but one thing to keep in mind. I would never, ever pour coffee onto my plants without first looking over my coffee pot and cleaning it extremely thoroughly. I have taken mine apart already and the tubes that the water goes through were almost caked shut with mineral deposits. They sell brushes and solution to clean this. If you don't, Your asking for trouble. Reverse Osmosis water or not, you'll be adding minerals to your coffee and killing your plants. Like watering them with regular tap water, or worse.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast