User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Succumbing to French Roast Pressure . . .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrtfox1942 View Post
    I haven't tried the coffee method, but one thing to keep in mind. I would never, ever pour coffee onto my plants without first looking over my coffee pot and cleaning it extremely thoroughly. I have taken mine apart already and the tubes that the water goes through were almost caked shut with mineral deposits. They sell brushes and solution to clean this. If you don't, Your asking for trouble. Reverse Osmosis water or not, you'll be adding minerals to your coffee and killing your plants. Like watering them with regular tap water, or worse.
    Mineral-laden water doesn't seem to have the same deleterious effect on Nepenthes (I've tested tap water upwards of 350-400 ppm on my plants without a problem) than would otherwise be the case with most other carnivorous genera; and, besides, a biannual coffee application should hardly pose a threat, considering how often they are watered and -- typically -- how well-drained the compost.

Anyway, I generally use a French press or stove-top espresso maker; no Mister Coffee . . .

Last edited by BigBella; 05-09-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    Mineral-laden water doesn't seem to have the same deleterious effect on Nepenthes (I've tested tap water upwards of 350-400 ppm on my plants without a problem) than would otherwise be the case with most other carnivorous genera; and, besides, a biannual coffee application should hardly pose a threat, considering how often they are watered and -- typically -- how well-drained the compost.

Anyway, I generally use a French press or stove-top espresso maker; no Mister Coffee . . .

It's just a thought. I'd still clean the pot first. If not for anything else, so you don't drink the minerals. Lol. My pot wasn't brewing to good, and when I took it apart, I was disgusted with the amount of mineral build up in the coil.
    Joshua from PA
    Looking for plants with Pennsylvania location data
    Grow List
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...923#post933923

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could you PM me more about the tap water usage? Can I drop distilled altogether now? Thanks in advance.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seems since nepenthes generally need a more airy mix, that many materials are washed through before any damage can be done, the water may cause the media to break down faster, but i also use tap water here.
    Though my tapwater is only 24ppm at its max it seems lol....monthly testing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    it seems since nepenthes generally need a more airy mix, that many materials are washed through before any damage can be done, the water may cause the media to break down faster, but i also use tap water here.
    Though my tapwater is only 24ppm at its max it seems lol....monthly testing
    We've got an average of 280 here. I can skip rocks on the ground when the sprinklers turn on lol. My nep's tend to grow drier than what I imagine to be ideal because I'm a cheapskate with the water. This finding could revolutionize things for me.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Himself View Post
    We've got an average of 280 here. I can skip rocks on the ground when the sprinklers turn on lol. My nep's tend to grow drier than what I imagine to be ideal because I'm a cheapskate with the water. This finding could revolutionize things for me.
    I imagine that it depends upon which minerals are most concentrated in any given tap water; that being said, live sphagnum moss is far more sensitive to mineral-laden water than are the Nepenthes themselves. Cypress-based mixes are more effective in that situation . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a recent update on just one of those plants treated back in March. In the several years that I have had this Nepenthes, I have never seen it grow more rapidly in terms of leaf production, nor exhibit a more "sudden" change in leaf size . . .

Nepenthes villosa -- 22 April

18 May

Last edited by BigBella; 05-18-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a recent update on just one of those plants treated back in March. In the several years that I have had this Nepenthes, I have never seen it grow more rapidly in terms of leaf production, nor exhibit a more "sudden" change in leaf size . . .
    In those years, have you fed your plants any other root nutrients? My point being that all the posts I have read about how well Nepenthes grow after feeding with coffee are anecdotal, with no comparisons on how they would perform on a more traditional nutrient solution (fertiliser) or given no nutrients.

Page 6 of 30 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast