What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finally getting around to posting some pictures I took over the weekend. The plants are kicking into high gear now that it is drying out / warming up.

Enjoy…

Two N bicalcarata putting out nice new leaves under the bench
DSC04858.jpg

N x prosperity (mirabilis*thorelii)*((northiana*maxima) *(rafflesiana* veitchii))
DSC04866.jpg

A couple of new arrivals from Sam at Leilani Hapu'u

N x parvana (ventricosa x dubia),
DSC04876.jpg

Song of Melancholy (a boschiana hybrid), this is a real beauty – my picture just doesn’t do it justice.
DSC04879.jpg

N eymae x veithii
DSC04893.jpg

Some seedlings

Just sprouting
DSC04887.jpg

N viking
DSC04885.jpg

N mirabilis x tiger
DSC04882.jpg

N mirabilis
DSC04883.jpg

N rafflesiana cutting, notice the one big leaf…
DSC04898.jpg

… and surprise the pitcher under the bench! Over 4”, first pitcher on a new cutting
DSC04900.jpg

N x ali’I (kampotiana x maxima) x sanguinea
DSC04912.jpg

N khasiana
DSC04929.jpg

N copelandii, Mt Pasian
DSC04932.jpg

N thorelii x merrilliana
DSC04941.jpg

N x Maggie Jones
DSC04949.jpg

N truncata x ventricosa
DSC04954.jpg

DSC04958.jpg

DSC04959.jpg

N kampotiana
DSC04967.jpg

N x weigneri (hirsuta x rafflesiana) x (maxima x thorelii)
DSC04978.jpg

N x hachijo [(mirabilis x thorelii) x mirabilis (Red)]
DSC04990.jpg

What a collection of nice nep species and hybrids... :hail:

You have an awesome Nep collection Ellisonk001.

It's always nice when you post and we can see how they are all progressing.

Thanks for sharing!

dvg

Fantastic plants. The vent x trunc looks so healthy. And that bical, wow what a size increase.

Beautiful plants Keith, that warm weather truly allows you to grow quite the collection! Wonderful, thanks for sharing!

N x parvana :drool:

Thanks for all your kind comments! I was warned that these plants are addictive, but I had no idea...

wonderful plants! congratulations! but you have a terrarium? where do you breed the seeds of Nepenthes?

Groovy Neps! Is that an Andromischus getting ready to bloom in the first pic on the left (round teardrop shaped leaves)?

Hi There:

nice plants indeed. i wanted to ask you a question. The plant labelled khasiana, where did you get it from?
It looks different from the regular khasiana.

Cheers,

Gus

I love your kampotiana! :-O

So when are you going to share those seedlings? ;)

All, again, thanks for all your kind words! It really means a lot to me coming from such an accomplished group of growers.

Mr pc – I have a couple of old fish tanks that I use as terrariums to maintain high humidity for starting cuttings. As for my seedlings, I germinate them in covered containers and slowly harden them up. I have several covers for standard nursery flats, but any covered container will work. I find deli containers with a clear plastic lid work very well.

Swords – I do not know the name of the plant next to the bicalcarata. I bought it labeled as string of pearls…

Gus – I mislabeled this plant. It is actually, khasiana x alata that I received from a grower in Flordia.

Clue – The ident of the kampotiana is in question. A couple of folks on other forums do not believe this is the true Kampotiana; however, that is what I purchase it as and the seller is sticking to his guns… I think it is a beautiful plant and as an additional bonus it is female. I just germinated my first two sets of home grown nep seeds, which is a pretty good feeling I must say. As for sharing the seedlings, I plan to grow them out a bit more so they can better withstand shipping and them put most of them up for trade…

Mr pc – I have a couple of old fish tanks that I use as terrariums to maintain high humidity for starting cuttings. As for my seedlings, I germinate them in covered containers and slowly harden them up. I have several covers for standard nursery flats, but any covered container will work. I find deli containers with a clear plastic lid work very well.

[/ QUOTE]

containers you use for the seedling, are those on high, in the eighth picture? I would try :-D :) you could give me some more information?

mr pc - Yes the plastic containers in the upper left corner of the 8th picther are deli containers used for seed germination. I have also been known to use pie and cookie containers, etc... I poke a couple holes in the bottem for drainage, fill them with a damp sand and peat mixture and keep them covered for at least the first six to nine months.

mr pc - Yes the plastic containers in the upper left corner of the 8th picther are deli containers used for seed germination. I have also been known to use pie and cookie containers, etc... I poke a couple holes in the bottem for drainage, fill them with a damp sand and peat mixture and keep them covered for at least the first six to nine months.

Thank you very much! Now try containers similar to those ..can I use sphagnum as a substrate surface, and under a layer of peat-bark?

Thank you very much! Now try containers similar to those ..can I use sphagnum as a substrate surface, and under a layer of peat-bark?

I think everyone has their favorite media mix. For nep seeds I like 50/50 peat/sand because it hold moisture well and the seeds stay in contact with the media well. I have read that other folks use chopped LFS; I think it is just something you have to experiment with until you find what works for your conditions.

Keith

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

[/COLOR]
I think everyone has their favorite media mix. For nep seeds I like 50/50 peat/sand because it hold moisture well and the seeds stay in contact with the media well. I have read that other folks use chopped LFS; I think it is just something you have to experiment with until you find what works for your conditions.

Keith

What kind of sand do you use? I think I will used a mixture of peat and sfagno .. thanks very much

A late March update….

N x mixta pitcher freshly opened
DSC05077.jpg

N x black beauty, I really love these colors…
DSC05083.jpg

N truncata x maxima
DSC05093.jpg

N rafflesiana
DSC05100.jpg

DSC05101.jpg

N sanguinea orange showing some nice color…
DSC05105.jpg

N maxima x talangensis
DSC05118.jpg

Some little guys…
N ramispina
DSC05126.jpg

N spectabilis x ventricosa
DSC05130.jpg

N thorelii x merrilliana
DSC05140.jpg

N mirabilis x tobiaca
DSC05151.jpg

N maxima x talangensis
DSC05057.jpg

N truncata King & Queen
DSC05168.jpg

Rooted Cuttings getting a good start…
N (ventricosa (red) x lowii) x ventricosa
DSC05062.jpg

N x predator
DSC05066.jpg

Shade House upgrade, added a mist system to help keep humidity up. So far, so good…
DSC05184.jpg

Back