What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes and orchids

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
Has anyone ever tried growing their Nepenthes in glazed orchid pots? I've read that they can be treated similarly but I've never heard of anyone growing them in the same style pot.

I have used glazed orchid pots over the years, particularly for larger top-heavy Nepenthes, and they work out just fine. The only drawback to the open-sided pots is the need for increased watering, since everything tends to dry far too quickly . . .

If u have creative fancy side may i suggest antique china glazed pots for you, it's glazed like the ones u use now but hey nothing's the same when u go antique! it's 'true" art and botanical beauty merging as 1 performance!! To further elaborate just look at how they use antique pots with bonsais, it's the philosophy of style lol Any aficionado can admire the sight :)

I'm all for orchid pots and orchid mix with Neps. I prefer large orchid or pond plant baskets, and offset drying by adding more fill (peat/coir/milled sphagnum/APS) and using absorbant aggregate like APS, bark, cypress/pine mulch or large grains of perlite or horticultural charcoal. I'm looking into materials like rockwool and clay pellets, as I've read promising things. With orchid pots allowing more air to the root zone, I've found that pretty much every Nep I've tried responds well to shallow tray watering, so long as a dry period is provided regularly.
I haven't tried glazed containers but did use an unglazed terra cotta orchid pot with holes punched in the sides and was happy with the results. I've heard good things about wooden orchid baskets too.
~Joe

Hmmm thanks for the input guys. I stuck with the "normal" pot for the time being, but might try that out the next time I repot a nep. I'm kinda in the process of reinventing my passion for Nepenthes because I have picked up orchids recently and they kinda go hand in hand.

Back