What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Betta Pellets for Nep ventricosa?

I have a ventricosa loving it up in a glass block window. It never eats. I could put it outside in the sun, but I'd worry about it transitioning from indoor plant to outdoor plant, and the indoor again in the fall. (It was an outdoor plant last summer, and I brought it in in the fall, and it loves it in here.) Would it benefit from crushed up betta pellets dropped in the pitchers? I don't want to hurt the plant, since it's my only nep.

I already bought betta pellets for my sundew seedlings, so it not being worth buying them isn't an issue.

Thanks

Sure, feeding your plant is a good idea, neps have to eat at least occasionally to grow well.

So it was about a month ago when I put the first pellet in. I put maybe 4 in, totoal. It's showing no ill effects. I wish I could say the same for my sundews.

Before, when it was doing great:

C8CnL.png

After, with no change in humity:

BP9O1.png

Do you think that if they would harm my nep, it would have happened by now? Or could it still go bad, and I should maybe snip off pitchers I fed to save the plant? :-(

Shouldn't be able to harm a nep with betta pellets, worst case scenario you over feed it and the pitcher rots.

About your worries for transitioning the plants from indoor to outdoor then back to indoor, this is what i do since i cant keep my plants out in winter/early spring/late fall

i move my plants out in the end of april (once our temps get out of the 30s at night) to the greenhouse, then back inside before the first night in the upper 30s here....)
i have had no negative results from this, infact the greenhouse was amazing for them and they are doing amazingly well for being in the garage under lights too, dont be afraid to do it...ventricosa is an amazingly resilient plant...

My N. Ventricosa went straight from a nice and comfy greenhouse into my dry as hell room with no pitcher drop and it started growing for me in a weeks' time. I have the utmost faith that it wouldn't mind something like a transition from indoor/outdoor as long as both environments are suitable for it.

I don't really have anything to say on betta pellets, I grew my plants for a year without feeding it near as many insects as they catch outside and they do grow quite fine on their own. I started pitcher/root feeding my fertilizer of choice sparlingly and they do grow noticeably faster. Which method works better I don't know but betta pellets definitely do work. Nepenthes catch an amazing amount of insects on a daily basis out in the wild though.

Nepenthes "digest" prey rather quickly in their pitchers, so unless you're doing something silly, I don't think you would hurt the plant. Worse case scenario the top half of your pitcher dies while it digests it's food or the entire thing will turn black if you're doing something seriously wrong.

On a side note, I have no idea how you managed to only have one nep. I could not stop revisiting the vendor's website after I got my first Ventricosa, 1 became 3, 3 became 12!

Back