Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TONS -o- PICS: more new plants

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Truncata View Post
    Incredible, at the rate your going how will you pay for food? Seems like you have something coming in every day. I wish my collection was as crowded as that.
    Only thing I really bought was the 2 N.albomarginatas.. Everything else I got in trades.

Quote Originally Posted by Veronis View Post
    You da man, man.

You're gonna have to buy a second house for your plants.
    Aww.. shucks. I know!

I'm picking up the frame for my 24' x 36' greenhouse later this week!!

Quote Originally Posted by Clue View Post
    At the rate you're going at, Massmorels, I'd be scared to see what your growspace looks like in two months. O.o

Lucky you, too. I have been looking for a leesii for a long time.
    I'm slowing down on the Neps now.. for obvious reasons.

And I got 2 cuttings of leessii going, not sure if one is going to make it. But hey, if they do well just hit me up in the future. I'm a share bear..

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    Why is everyone so obssessed with fogging their plants, in an enclosed terrarium no less?
    It's easy, it works, and it's all I have.. My plants are happy and so am I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works to do what? really.. I don't understand. What is it you are trying to accomplish by wetting everything with fog 4 times an hour? I really don't see the benefit in an enclosed terrarium which is most likely plenty humid enough for them without adding the fog. It is enclosed is it not? Or am I missing something?? About the only thing I can see it promoting is excessivly wet potting mix which could cause root rot and wet leaves which is the perfect environment for plant disease. So no offense but you have not had your plants long enough to know if they are happy yet. Give them 6 months or more then you will know. I guess time will tell!
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tony you do have a good point. i guess it really depends on the climate where you live in.
    from where i live, we get really hot and dry summers, and with my terrarium on the windowsill, i dont think the water at the bottom of the terrarium can provide sufficient local humidity for my tank. especially when the summer nights approach, i think my highlanders will appreciate the cooling and moistening effects that the mister gives.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see if you don't have a lid on top under the lights and moisture is lost out the top or maybe exhaust fans removing the humid air and excess heat, you would want to replace it with some cool humid air.

I think many though don't give Nepenthes credit for their ability to grow and pitcher just fine in fairly dry air and automatically think they need to be growing their plants in a cloud in order to make them happy and pitcher.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I breed exotic tarantulas and heat my home with propane. Thus giving me extremely dry air (20% humidity) and a year round warm temp. of 80-85degF. Therefore I give them a humidity boost the easiest way I could think of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mm: as a friend, dude, dont take things too personally when it comes to the advice that people give you. plus im guessing you have no idea who tony is, but there's probably a good chance that with a collection of your size, one or two of your plants actually originated from him. i have one of his plants in my collection, and am planning on getting a couple of others from him as well. trust me, he knows what he's talking about.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow.. Odd I thought I was being quite polite and asking a serious question as to why so many felt the need to run foggers in enclosed terrariums when in my many years experience excess moisture can cause many problems in the long run and the great majority of Nepenthes and carnivorous plants for that matter do not need high levels of humidity to grow perfectly fine. Seems to me that adding lots of extra moisture and humidity is just asking for trouble sooner or later with root rot or other plant diseases.

Enjoy your picture threads.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    @mm: as a friend, dude, dont take things too personally when it comes to the advice that people give you. plus im guessing you have no idea who tony is, but there's probably a good chance that with a collection of your size, one or two of your plants actually originated from him. i have one of his plants in my collection, and am planning on getting a couple of others from him as well. trust me, he knows what he's talking about.
    I know who he is.. but there are certain ways to go about giving someone advice. And inadvertently calling them an idiot isn't one of them.

And I gave the simple explanation you seem to be prodding for here Tony. But I guess I need to repeat myself.

I breed exotic tarantulas and heat my home with propane. Thus giving me extremely dry air (20% humidity or less) and a year round warm temp. of 80-85degF. Therefore, I give them a humidity boost the easiest way I can think of.
    Also, that's just a temporary box. Again repeating myself.. I'm picking up my 24' x 36' greenhouse later this week.

AND I'VE GOT TO ASK.. what would you expect me to do here Tony? Stick 35 plants in a window sill with 15%-20% humidity at 80degF?? Not to mention a cat and 2 year old running around grabbing everything he can get his little hands on. I think I did pretty damn good for not having a clue what I was doing, not having any money to invest, and having limited space to work with. I'd love to hear any other ideas you may have, just as long as they are within' the guidelines I've had to follow.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast