Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vining and cuttings questions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vining and cuttings questions

I have a ventricosa that is starting to vine. It's about a foot tall. It's got tons of leaves with tendrils, but they aren't inflating. The pitcher production stopped about the time the vining started. Is this common? I seem to remember reading somewhere that neps sometimes stop pitchering when they start vining, but can't remember where.

About cuttings: has anyone tried just taking one cutting, then waiting for a node to activate on the mother plant, taking another cutting, repeat, etc.? Also, do the cuttings need particularly high light levels or humidity? The mother plant is sitting on a windowsill and growing like a weed.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    not sure with ventricosa but some neps really slow down pitcher production when they vine.....my bongso has 6 feet of vine and no pitchers.....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taken successful single-node cuttings -- if that's what you're getting at -- on many occasions; and, depending upon the given Nepenthes, they do eventually get spindly and pitcher less frequently at that "creeping vine" stage. I had a similar problem with a sprawling N. hamata a few years ago and severely trimmed it back.

In terms of rooting Nepenthes cuttings, try to give them the same conditions as the "parent" plant -- within reason . . .

Nepenthes hamata
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ventricosa is doing the same thing. But it sent out a flower so you may want to wait for that...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post
    I have taken successful single-node cuttings -- if that's what you're getting at -- on many occasions; and, depending upon the given Nepenthes, they do eventually get spindly and pitcher less frequently at that "creeping vine" stage. I had a similar problem with a sprawling N. hamata a few years ago and severely trimmed it back.

In terms of rooting Nepenthes cuttings, try to give them the same conditions as the "parent" plant -- within reason . . .

Nepenthes hamata
    That's very interesting BB, I've always wondered about how much of the leaf/leaves to cut when rooting a cutting and this shows it perfectly. Thanks for the picture!
    "There is no pain as great as being alive,
    no burden heavier than that of conscious life. "
    -Rubén Darío-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rattler View Post
    not sure with ventricosa but some neps really slow down pitcher production when they vine.....my bongso has 6 feet of vine and no pitchers.....
    geeze i wish my bongso had 6 feet of vine <_< xD
    a friend of mine has about a 9 footer now and it has a nice group of uppers and lowers from basals...its quite the gorgeous plant in person

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brokken View Post
    That's very interesting BB, I've always wondered about how much of the leaf/leaves to cut when rooting a cutting and this shows it perfectly.
    Thanks . . .

The usual method involves slicing the Nepenthes leaves in half and then cutting its stem perpendicularly (or alternatively, splitting the base of the stem to form a fork to further expose the cambium). Clonex or Rootone greatly improves the chances of it taking, particularly with the touchier species, some of which can take months to take root . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's sort of what I'm saying. It's good to know that one-node cuttings can work...what I'm really asking is can you take a single cutting, then wait for a node on the mother plant to activate, then take another single cutting, wait for another node to activate...etc., instead of taking a bunch of cuttings at once. I think this is suggested somewhere in the savage garden.

So should rooting cuttings on a windowsill be considered "within reason" if that's where the mother plant lives?

Also, is there any reason to wait until the plant is significantly bigger? I'd like to have some pitchers, otherwise it's just a green shrub in my window!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast