What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are some Nepenthes you just cant seem to get right?

Chris_Himself

Nep'tard
Amusingly, my Sanguinea and Spectibilis aren't working for me. Probably damaged roots on shipping. But something that is healthy and isn't pitchering is N. Talangensis that I got a couple weeks ago. I think high light, low nights, and a feeding regimen will force it to give itself to me :-))

I also could not get N. Gracilis to grow right because I couldn't manage it! The damn thing just would NOT stop growing even in winter and something that grows that fast goes thru a lot of water as well.

Nepenthes Ampullaria. I've ordered them three times, and they always go into suspended animation when they arrive and then slowly rot away. All other Neps grow just fine.

N. stenophylla. Picky, picky, picky!

My bad luck Neps are, Ramispina, Macfarlanei and Burbidgeae.... ???

N madagascariensis really seems to hate me.... I haven't given up yet, but I just can't seem to make them happy.

I second that amp...burb doesn't do well either XD

At the outset, both Nepenthes jacquelineae and N. villosa were a bit of a pain in the arse, probably because the two were about the size of a dime -- if not smaller -- when I received them; and I spent a good deal of time just ensuring that the sphagnum moss didn't overgrow them.

I truly thought they were both toast . . .

Nepenthes villosa -- 2007

NV.jpg

Have you guys tried fertilizing your plants that didn't grow? My Sanguinea has been sending out useless leaves for like a year and started producing some decent ones after a hit of MaxSea.

Never convince yourself to go with a new nursery if the old one is doing just fine for you. This is the saddest little Sang that I've seen and I get so jealous looking at everybody elses =/

tqAu7l.jpg

I second the N. ramispina. Mine just never grew, it just stayed the same. It was the only plant that never grew for me.

my Red Leopard I got at the NASC auction 2 years ago is the only one for me that never stops pitchering but my amp never does, and my ventricosa died...everything else merely survives.

I've never had any problem with any of the lowland species/hybrids. Highlanders are another story. N. argentiii - I killed two of these and my third I gave it away. N. ramispina ( one of my favorites) my first one died, my second one grew like a weed, flowered, main vine died and then a basal grew before I gave it away. Anyhow I'm sticking to lowlander/intermediates only now. Gave away most of my highlanders. Kept my N. khasiana which grows like a weed in lowland conditions and an N. platychila which is doing well in lowland conditions.

N.Rajah... I got 2 of them. I baby them with intense light and high humidity and night time temeperature drop they just don;t do well for me. and slow as snail

My ventricosa x inermis is the only nep I have that has never pitchered for me. It grows really well, but just doesn't pitcher.

I have unpotted and repotted in fresh media, it has healthy roots and everthing. I just don't know why it hates me so.

I am thinking of giving this one the coffee treatment. I have tried just about everything else...

BigBella: I thoroughly enjoyed your use of a Euro piece as a scale. :D

My hard one always seems to be N. 'Judith Finn'. It has just existed for a few years.... I recently repotted it to see if it would revive itself.

I'll also add to the ramispina list. It has grown very slowly and when it does pitcher, they are small and pathetic. I have a sanguinea red that has grown extremely slowly for me also, 2 inches in height in 3 years. Not at all what I expected.

N.rajah and N.northiana.....burbidgeae does OK for me, if very slow.

On the other hand, I nearly have to beat back my sanguinea (blood red) with a stick to keep it from eating me when I open my grow chamber. It grows VERY fast for me :)

Sanguinea orange is the one that grows fast right? I'm trying not to beat my sanguinea to death out of frustration. Also I have a spectibilis which is going thru the same thing. A BE supplier on the east coast sent me a potted plant which became a bareroot in transit. Why do all my favorites come broken =(

My very healthy khasiana died earlier this winter... it just started turning black. I'm looking for another one, but I'm in no rush.

densiflora, singalana, diatas... that whole bunch.
Also gymnamphora. I thought it was easy because it grew like a weed in a terrarium of sphagnum moss with a little fluorescent light on it. So I took it out to the rack... DIE.
Same with tentaculata. But the aristo hung in there.

At the outset, both Nepenthes jacquelineae and N. villosa were a bit of a pain in the arse, probably because the two were about the size of a dime -- if not smaller -- when I received them; and I spent a good deal of time just ensuring that the sphagnum moss didn't overgrow them.

I truly thought they were both toast . . .

Nepenthes villosa -- 2007

NV.jpg

lol BigB! This was my villosa when I received it as well. ;p

2500498962_e6127305c2.jpg

Back