What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

THEE truncata thread

N. truncata thread

N. truncata is regarded as one of the great species to hybridize. Personally I love all of it's different forms and varying hybrids but for the simplicity of this thread show us your truncatas! No hybrids, just plain truncata forms. The only exception is truncata x truncata (i.e. QoH x KoS) I know a few of you out there have some outstanding truncatas so dont be shy, post your pictures and update us regularly!

Here are some of mine

N. truncata (Pasian Highland) in a 4 inch pot

IMG_2955.JPG_595.jpg

IMG_2956.JPG_595.jpg

N. truncata (lowland form) in an 8 inch pot, 2ft leaf span, 9-10 inch pitchers

IMG_2953.JPG

IMG_2954.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

N. truncata QoH x KoS --- 2 inch pot

IMG_2957.JPG

IMG_2958.JPG

Last edited:
N.truncata, Pasian highland, 20in plant in a 10in pot.

Ntruncata03.jpg

Here's my Nepenthes, shot this morning. It was far too dark to get a good shot without flash in the kitchen last night . . .

Nepenthes truncata (Pasian Highland)

NTRUNCATA-2.jpg

I've actually been dying to get a Truncata, but I don't like slower growing species since I grow in my bedroom and I get impatient as I check up on my plants on a daily basis. How slow are they and why is everyone's so large if they grow so slow?

I've actually been dying to get a Truncata, but I don't like slower growing species since I grow in my bedroom and I get impatient as I check up on my plants on a daily basis. How slow are they and why is everyone's so large if they grow so slow?

I have found the highland N. truncata to be a fairly fast grower, under my South-facing windowsill conditions . . .

Hrm...posting a picture thread when it's night here so I can't take pictures to post til tomorrow :nono: ...I'll post pics of my baby pasian highland and QoHXKoS tomorrow.

Mine appears to be putting out a new leaf every month. About the same as Cephalotus.

Hmm. Flytrapshop doesn't have any and I really wanted to give Andrew's plants a try. I think I'll hold off on getting one until I see one up.

Hrm...posting a picture thread when it's night here so I can't take pictures to post til tomorrow :nono: ...I'll post pics of my baby pasian highland and QoHXKoS tomorrow.
Sorry! Hopefully people will update every once in a while so you'll have plenty of time to add your pics!:-O

They are a bit slower than most average Neps IMO but they aren't the slowest, once you find the proper tuning of all it's requirements it can really start taking off. Pasian is slower for me then the lowland form but I believe it's due to growing it in LL conditions rather than HL ones.

Mine appears to be putting out a new leaf every month. About the same as Cephalotus.
Same here

truncata is my favorite Nep to show to visitors because it's large in my growing conditions.
My large one I got from Hawaii 4-5 years ago. I don't know it's origins but it may be one of EP's greenhouse bred truncatas. It has been through drought to being over watered high temps low temps and just keeps getting better. I just re potted it a month ago as it was in the same soill for 5 years.
I have a total of 5 truncatas.
OK, PICS
My largest and so far best looking truncata
PIC 2/19/07
TRUNCATA021907.jpg

looking into the sun 3/26/10
TRUNCATA32610.jpg

TRUNCATA326102.jpg

04/03/10

TRUNCATA0403103.jpg

TRUNCATA0403104.jpg

TRUNCATA0403105.jpg

TRUNCATA0403106.jpg

TRUNCATA0403107.jpg

My only surviving Atlanta Botanical Garden seedling. I just noticed this about 3 months ago in my ventricosa pot.
I had about 50 seedlings but they all died when I had someone plant sitting for me.

ABGSG.jpg

QoH x KoS Easy grower so far

QoHxKoS.jpg

QoHxKoS2.jpg

QoHxKoS3.jpg

QoHxKoS4.jpg

Here's a pic of both of my truncatas - pasian on left, QoHXKoS on right (in 3" pot)
P4020023.jpg

and a closeup of the color that developed on the last fully grown pitcher of the baby QoHXKoS
P4020024.jpg

It's a really fast, easy grower for me.

I may just have to grab myself a Pasian one of these days.... ;)

Very nice truncs, guys! :-O

Here's my Truncata "Highland". I bought this sucker for $9. It arrived in January, but has been in transplant shock ever since. In the past couple of weeks, it finally started to grow again. Here are pictures from a few days ago:

NepenthesTruncata2.jpg

:eek: OMG your plants are HUGE!!

It's definitely becoming a puzzle finding room for it and the N. bicalcarata isn't making the matter any easier...:rolleyes: A little bitter sweet but definitely rewarding.

That QoH x KoS is looking good there Yann. Is that the newest pitcher? My other one is starting to pick up speed now that i moved it to a warmer spot. I think it didn't like being so close to the window all winter long.

Wrong thread to ask in, but are you still growing your bical in lower humidity? I need to move mine soon. It will be a 12 inch plant in the next leaf or so and will soon outgrow the 10 gal aquarium. Either that or put it up for auction at the NASC.

Thanks Damon, that is the latest pitcher to open up and colored up. It's inflating another one right now; coming from such great care it's no wonder it didn't skip a beat!
The bical is still in lower RH ~50% but it's been acting funny. It may be trying to flower but I'm not sure. It it's because it threw out 3 basal simultaneously. I've considering putting mine up in the auction as well; it'll grow in lower RH but the leaves and pitchers just don't last that long.

Thanks. It helps that it seems to be a very hardy species. It took the intermediate/highland conditions like a champ.

That gives me some ideas about the bical. I have a humidifier that I no longer use. I think I'll fire it back up and place it in an empty rack with new lighting for a lowland area.

wow French! That leaf is unbelievably huge! I wonder how big the pitcher will be... :D

Back