What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite nep of all time?

I'd have to say N. ephippiata is my favorite. Every time I stop to look at my plants I am mesmerized by its adorable little pitchers...They're such a pleasant shape and are so perfectly colorful.
A close second and third would be N. hamata and N. burbidgeae.

N Spectabilis. That peristome man...

Right now in my inventory it's definitely my N. Veitchii x Platychila

Edwardsiana is just in a class of it's own makes all other adjacent life forms seem diminutive. Lol maybe i'm embellishing, but it is the coolest plant in the world, I think. That's why I can't pick it.....

So I would have to say that Favorite Nep of all time, never owned one or seen one in real life, but that N. argentii, is a truly awesome, miniature, highly adapted plant that has some of the potentially most interesting genetic tendencies that need to be introduced into the hobby. The one that was my little kid fantasy though, was bicalcarata, I still love bicalcarata very much, but after such a long relationship, there are so many other seductive Nepenthes out there. ;)

I'll add to my list because I got a platychila cutting with uppers. :drool:

1. N. clipeata/platychila
2. N. campanulata/veitchii
3. N. northiana

Edwardsiana.

Hey, someone was bound to say it sooner or later ;)

Hard to choose one...

I Love N. Jacquelineae, perhaps my most favourite out of the favourites which include Jamban, Klossi, Edwardsiana of course, villosa, inermis, and flava.

oh and I'mma let you finish, but N. Jacquelineae had the best pitchers of all time, of all time.

how could you not say edwardisiana? red toothy lips, slender, curves in all the right places, a red body---almost like the nep version of jessica rabbit.

i have to say edwardsiana for the cliche answer
but my all time favorite nep, is right there with Nate,
the candy striped N. veitchii....
god i hope my seeds germinate LOL

edwardsiana, villosa, klossii and rajah. The top four.

Edwardsiana is just in a class of it's own makes all other adjacent life forms seem diminutive. Lol maybe i'm embellishing, but it is the coolest plant in the world, I think. That's why I can't pick it.....

So I would have to say that Favorite Nep of all time, never owned one or seen one in real life, but that N. argentii, is a truly awesome, miniature, highly adapted plant that has some of the potentially most interesting genetic tendencies that need to be introduced into the hobby. The one that was my little kid fantasy though, was bicalcarata, I still love bicalcarata very much, but after such a long relationship, there are so many other seductive Nepenthes out there. ;)

Ooh, this one seems popular. Wonder why ;)

Eeeek, it's hard to pick just one. They're all just amazing, guess that's why we're here:-D
I'm partial to the "toilet bowl " ones myself. But if I have to pick just one, I'd say inermis, it's dainty delicate and deadly :)

i also have to add some stuff to my list
other than veitchii, i absolutely love jamban, flava, jacquelineae, tenuis...

huh...i thought we could only choose one. since it did say favorite nep OF ALL TIME!!!!!! (where's kanye?)

if not, i'd love to bring in the toilets and wine shaped pitchers as well: jamban, jacq, tenuis, vogellii, platychila

Kris: you and i both share a love for N. flava. haha.

mine are flava, clipeata, burbidgae, and muluensis.

side note: does anyone still hate the name flava as opposed to N. spec. nov. Sumatra?

Alex

Glider i agree that flava is an inappropriate name for this plant, the upper pitcher on the plants are all that qualifies it seems and one or two of the clones....but we have to take in account the wild population......
so what WOULD be a good name?

Jamban/flava, amp, raff.

so what WOULD be a good name?
N. spec. nov. Sumatra is a good start haha. to be honest i havent seen much of this plant so i would have no idea what kind of name to give it. im still looking for one of these. no one seems to have them though =[

Alex

Nepenthes ampullaria, because I love the basal pitchers and N. glabrata because of it's small size and colourful pitchers.

AH comeon guys.... stop complaining with the name of N. flava. Just because all of the clones in cultivation are red doesn't necessarily mean that Andreas witnessed that in-situ, the upper pitchers of this species are mostly yellow. Besides its just a name. ;)

I agree vraev. It's just a name and perfectly fine at that. Andreas did all the field work so he can call it what ever he desires.

Favorite Nepenthes: N. burbidgeae

I really like truncata and its hybrids. Though when I was younger and really "in the hobby" my favorite was N. fusca, I loved the hairy growth and short, thick leaves.

Favorite neps? The ones that grow well for me, of course!

LOL!

Joking asside: burbidgeae, campanulata, jacquelenae and aristolochioides...and maybe some of those gigantic hybrids (you know those photos you see next to 2 litre bottles? THOSE - trunc x northiana or whatever....maybe it was trunc x merriliana or north x merry....whatever....just HUGE and colorful).

Also rapidly growing on me is x 'Marbled Dragon.' Easy grower. Very large, very showy pitchers.

Yes, it's really plain and common, but I love Nepenthes Ventrata. When I was in 6th grade, I was getting into carnivorous plants, and in the school library, they had a biology book with this exact picture of a "monkey cup". It has since become my favorite Nepenthes.

TropicalPitcherplant.jpg

My personal favorite is N. Muluensis x Lowii. I love the color and the toothy mouth. :)

I agree vraev. It's just a name and perfectly fine at that. Andreas did all the field work so he can call it what ever he desires.

Favorite Nepenthes: N. burbidgeae

Good to see someone agrees Phil. I have seen too many posts of people mocking N. flava and just don't understand why it gets blown out of proportion. It is a beautiful name and it represents the plant in-situ very accurately.

Anyways...how are those N. rajah coming along? Did u ever have one of your younger ones replace the "mantle" that the large one occupied? ;)

Back