What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite nep of all time?

I'm actually really beginning to dig my N. Alata 'Red Blush'. I think for someone as impatient as me, going with a really pretty N. Alata is the second best thing to instant gratification. Huge pitchers, great climber, easy to propagate! I've seen 1ft cuttings sell on ebay just to be made into 4 inch cuttings upon arrival and grow into humongous plants in 3 months time.

What is everyone's favorite easy to grow Nepenthes?

I'm actually really beginning to dig my N. Alata 'Red Blush'. I think for someone as impatient as me, going with a really pretty N. Alata is the second best thing to instant gratification. Huge pitchers, great climber, easy to propagate! I've seen 1ft cuttings sell on ebay just to be made into 4 inch cuttings upon arrival and grow into humongous plants in 3 months time.

What is everyone's favorite easy to grow Nepenthes?

Easy to grow? well, I'd have to give the same answer as my first, considering how easy truncata is to grow.

Chris I would be interested in seeing photos of your N. alata. I suspect it is N. ventrata. The great majority of the 'N. alata' out there are. Deroose has been selling this hybrid labelled as N. alata for many many years. In fact it was one of the first Nepenthes ever mass produced and distributed as a pot plant. Great plant, very pretty, super easy and bombproof but unfortunately has caused huge amounts of confusion as to what it really is.

So while I am posting in this thread.. favorite Nepenthes of all time.
Do I have to pick just one? hehe

N. ventricosa

Easy to grow? well, I'd have to give the same answer as my first, considering how easy truncata is to grow.

I think I may have shot myself in the foot... I forgot how many nepenthes are easy to grow. It's almost repeating the question. Please revoke my forum privelages haha

Chris I would be interested in seeing photos of your N. alata. I suspect it is N. ventrata. The great majority of the 'N. alata' out there are. Deroose has been selling this hybrid labelled as N. alata for many many years. In fact it was one of the first Nepenthes ever mass produced and distributed as a pot plant. Great plant, very pretty, super easy and bombproof but unfortunately has caused huge amounts of confusion as to what it really is.

So while I am posting in this thread.. favorite Nepenthes of all time.
Do I have to pick just one? hehe

N. ventricosa

I have the Deroose Alata and this guy, but no true Ventrata in my collection. I'm not sure what a ventrata looks like in person but so far the 'Red Blush' different than my Deroose Alata. The first pitcher is red/green, the pitcher about to open is a solid deep red.

The Deroose N. ventrata can get very red with lots of sun and cooler temperatures. Pitcher color can change from pitcher to pitcher based on a variety of factors, partcularly this type of red coloration, so I don't think it's a valid determination to decide if this plant is or is not the same as your other plant.

The photos the vendor is using for their "N. alata" are both from Deroose. Deroose does sell their "N. alata" as a smaller plant and not just the large hanging plant usually found in garden/home centers. I have never seen it labelled as 'red blush' though.. wonder if the vendor is adding that on or if it's an addition to the label by Deroose. Not sure if this will work but lets try it..http://www.derooseplants.com/en/select_plant_details.asp?PlantWebInfoId=59

The leaves on your pictured plant do not look like N. alata but fit with N. ventrata hybrid.

I would consider the Deroose a true N. ventrata. I know some say it may be N. ventrata x either N. alata or N. ventricosa but I don't buy that at all.

I'm not the level of nep aficionado that many of the respondents are, but for me its N. villosa

Av

Hey Chris, here's a true alata....
n-alata.jpg

The Deroose N. ventrata can get very red with lots of sun and cooler temperatures. Pitcher color can change from pitcher to pitcher based on a variety of factors, partcularly this type of red coloration, so I don't think it's a valid determination to decide if this plant is or is not the same as your other plant.

The photos the vendor is using for their "N. alata" are both from Deroose. Deroose does sell their "N. alata" as a smaller plant and not just the large hanging plant usually found in garden/home centers. I have never seen it labelled as 'red blush' though.. wonder if the vendor is adding that on or if it's an addition to the label by Deroose. Not sure if this will work but lets try it..http://www.derooseplants.com/en/select_plant_details.asp?PlantWebInfoId=59

The leaves on your pictured plant do not look like N. alata but fit with N. ventrata hybrid.

I would consider the Deroose a true N. ventrata. I know some say it may be N. ventrata x either N. alata or N. ventricosa but I don't buy that at all.

Aww man, well I used to be a species snob, but ever since I got some of the hybrids I own, this might not be such a bad thing.

Well I guess I have two of the same plant then according to you. Doesn't mean I love it any less! One is getting natural sunlight and isn't making as red pitcher which I find odd, could just be something florescent lights just do to neps.

One is getting natural sunlight and isn't making as red pitcher which I find odd, could just be something florescent lights just do to neps.

That's quite possible... Butch grows under alot of very bright T5 and has some red red plants... more red than I have ever seen in my greenhouse. And I don't think it's simply the plants natural inclination. The nice thing about under lights is you always have a perfectly sunny day every day, all day long!

Back