What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rooting Nep Cuttings Hydroponically???

Was just wondering if anyone has ever tried rooting a Nep cutting using the hydroponic method & how / if it worked...

i.e. Placing the potted cutting in a tray of water aerated with an aquarium pump / On a heat mat

I am trying a cutting in just plain water if that counts. I have read from others it can be successful but have never tried iit until now because I usually use 100% perlite and a humidity dome.

An aquarium pump would probably help but perhaps not necessary. I really don't know.

nep cuttings in plain water works, a friend of mine's tried it with success.

im trying plain distilled water as well. i'll let you know what happens.

I've not tried the heat mat or the airstone, but I've had limited success with water rooting myself. The only one I was able to root in water was ventrata.

I have rooted quite a few highland and intermediate Nepenthes in plain water. (I'm pretty lazy -- one cutting that I set aside and forgot is now blooming with a mass of roots in the water.)

I didn't take pictures, but I rooted several sizeable Ventricosa cuttings in plain ol glasses of water in my grow area. They actually all rooted within two weeks and I let them grow for another in the glass before I transplanted.

I must be the laziest cutting-rooter ever. I just grab some nep mix, dip the cutting in rooting powder, shove it in the pot, and put it with the rest of my plants. Works about 80% of the time.

Well I guess I'll give it a try

Was watching a video on cloning (Non-Carns) & they where putting the cuttings in pea gravel in mesh hydro pots, reg. pots, peat pots & had some that were just poked through holes in a floating piece of styrofoam which were all set in a tray off water with a long air stone in it and they had roots growing everywhere in like 2 weeks time

I'll post pics once I get things set up

Caps....
It's not laziness, it's conservation of energy!
I usually just do the same thing, depending on how valuable the cutting is to me.

Ok Here We Go

Received an Alata X Maxima in a trade that was a long somewhat rooted vine cutting that got damaged in shipping
The vine was bent/broken in two spots so I cut it

Here's pics of the hydro set up~
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/577341863chDwkf

Made a hole in a tall plastic container / Siliconed in some aquarium tubing / Using a round air stone hooked to a small aquarium air pump

Dipped the cutting in RooTone / Repotted it in straight LF Moss (had it in a peat LFM mix)

Will be keeping it on a windowsill for now since I don't have an outlet in my greenhouse

Will keep you updated & let you know how it goes

DC

PS~ Open To Suggestions & Ideas

Just To keep you up dated on this project

It Didn't go so good

The leaves were yellowing & they looked more wilted then they should have IMO
So I pulled it, re-cut the stem, re-dipped it & potted it up as I would normally do with a cutting
&
Will just hope for the best

Oh Well
It Was Worth a Try I Guess

I used hydro shale pelllets to hold my Ventricosa up, maybe ventricosa is just that much more tolerant to me essentially trying to drown it. I've had luck with Deroose Alata too.

Lets hope for the best with your cutting

Back